Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avdiscolo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,234
Message 1 of 13

My new 2306CTO X230 ThinkPad is missing the webcam

I just spent the last 4 days with my new ThinkPad trying to get the webcam working, and someone at work verified that I don't have one.  I am a bit upset about this since all the technical specs on lenovo.com for this model list a webcam as standard (not an option), and when I configured it online at lenovo.com, I was never presented with the option of including or not including the webcam.  Furthermore, the order acknowledgement did not mention the presence or absence of the webcam, so I assumed it was configured with one.

I'm happy to send this unit back to get the lid replaced, but I'd be even happier if Lenovo just sent me a replacement at the same time that I returned this unit.

What are my options?  Who do I talk to to resolve this?

Has this happened to anyone else?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 16,213
Message 2 of 13

Re: My new 2306CTO X230 ThinkPad is missing the webcam

Webcam is an option on some models, if you choose the 3X3 antenna, then the webcam option is hidden from you.

You need to talk to Lenovo customer service and see whether there is anything that you can be worked out between the two parties.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 16,211
Message 3 of 13

@avdiscolo wrote:

since all the technical specs on lenovo.com for this model list a webcam as standard (not an option), and when I configured it online at lenovo.com, I was never presented with the option of including or not including the webcam.  

If you configure for the screen with a 3x3 WiFi antenna configuration, you don't get webcam. What screen option did you choose?

Cheers,

Bill 

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
avdiscolo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,189
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for the replies, lead_org and billbolton. I picked the 3x3 antenna. I went through the online configurator again and saw the small message about the webcam not being available with the 3x3 antenna. (I still think the configurator can make it be more obvious, like graying out the camera option instead of making it disappear.) Now that I understand this, I'm happy with my choices. I use WiFi much more frequently than the webcam.
Siralex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,368
Message 5 of 13

**bleep** same thing happened to me, but i want the webcam since the 3x3 antenna doesnt change much from the 2x2 from what ive read.

guess ill call lenovo  Smiley Sad

prahal
Paper Tape
Views: 13,318
Message 6 of 13

Exactly same issue. The comparator tool tell the camera is always there on the X230T so I did not qudruple checked that the switch to 3x3 antenna mattered for the camera Smiley Sad 

3435-CTO

I wonder if anybody ended up with the camera. 

Already sent an email to the support contact. The call center told me no hardware could be replaced by their technician ... weird. (ie I also found the daylight LCD is in fact  sensitive to digitzer pen only. And there is not even a small letters text about that in the configurator ... thus no finger sensitivity, no camera ... next time no processor when you choose an option randomly ?).

This buying configurator is uterly broken ... Ie I had camera enabled ... when I choosed the screen it was set to "no" without a hint. You loose touch finger sensitivity because you choosed the "daylight" ... and smaller issue it tell you to buy "the given by lenovo" mini display port when the X230T has a display port but not Mini at all ... I start to wonder if the added power plug I bought is even compatible with the computer !

Siralex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,269
Message 7 of 13

Ive got the Part number for the webcam 63Y0250

which is around $120.00 more bucks which would mean IF we can do the upgrade by ourselves would mean that we loose the 3x3 antenna so we get a 2x2 antenna with webcam for over 120 USD which also breaks warranty to shreds.. im not sure about this.... the other option is to send the laptop back and wait another **bleep** month without a laptop. OUTRAGEOUS !!! if you ask me.
ceb
WWAN
Views: 13,265
Message 8 of 13

Because we know that the Lenovo site is screwy, we really need to be careful when selecting options. All the info is there.

Under the LCD options on the US site it says "NOTE: On X series model systems, selecting a 3x3 antenna will eliminate the option of a webcam due to space constraints." while under the camera tab it says "NOTE: Camera option becomes unavailable on X series model systems when selecting a display with an integrated 3x3 antenna."

At least on the US side you really have no excuse. When spending upwards of 1000 Euros you really should do homework.

That doesn't excuse the awful descriptions on the website or the screwy pricing.

Siralex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,138
Message 9 of 13

True, the question is what to do after we screw it up...
ceb
WWAN
Views: 13,120
Message 10 of 13

@Siralex wrote:
True, the question is what to do after we screw it up...

That is a good question and one that has no one answer.

A good company would say "while it is your fault, we recognize that our website may be a bit confusing so we will send you a portable webcam to attach to the laptop" but who knows what Lenovo would do.

Me? I'd ask Lenovo to replace it and then uy a portable webcam when they say no.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors