cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george99
Punch Card
Views: 2,156
Message 1 of 16

My review of X1 Carbon - Not very good...

Well, I just got my X1 Carbon yesterday.  So far, not so good.

I have i7 with 8GB of RAM, 256 SSD and WWAN.  Pretty much maxed out on the upgrades.

1. The computer is litterally crooked.  When I place it on a hard flat surface (my kitchen counter), it doesn't lay flat.  There is about 1 mm gap below the front right rubber foot and the counter.  So every time I touch the trackpad, I get a click from the laptop tapping on the counter. Lovely.  This is annoying as hell.  Poor workmanship by Lenovo.

2. USB 3.0 Dock is an absolute joke.  I am using the Targus ACP71USZ.  They are all the same, regardless of which model you buy, since they all use Displaylink technology.  On the m,onitors connected to the dock, the mouse responds with tiny delays, so it is very annoying and difficult to accurately point the mouse. Its bad with both HDMI and DVI.  HDMI is worse.  Ethernet, is pathetic.  I don't even get a 1mb download speed at speedtest.net.  Other computers on the same copnnection get over 20mb.  Ping was 800ms vs 5ms for other computers.  Absolutely pathetic.  Wifi gave me 7mb with 100ms ping.  Then I tried connecting the ethernet cable to the dongle that comes with the X1, directly to the X1, and not the dock.  I got 18mb and 5ms ping.  Much better, but this adds to the fact that the dock is a $200 peice of garbage. The only good way to use an external monitor is via the mini displayport on the X1 itself.  So basically here is my setup.  I have 2 external monitors.  One goes to the DVI on the dock.  Other to displayport on the X1.  Ethernet dongle on the USB of the X1, power cable on the X1, USB to connect the X1 to the dock.  I have to plug in 4 cables to the X1 just to dock it.  Kind of defeats the purpose of the dock, and its worse since the dock works like crap anyway.

If I were to just use the X1 as a laptop, then it would be fine.  But this machine absolutely stinks when used with a dock.

I am alrerady considering putting it on ebay.

x1carbon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,132
Message 2 of 16

Re: My review of X1 Carbon - Not very good...

1) Yes, quality control is awful.

2) You should try using a mini-displayport/thunderbolt dock instead. Belkin and Matrox make one. 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,096
Message 3 of 16

http://www.thinkscopes.com/lenovo-displayport-to-displayport-splitter/

You could connect 2 x (up to) WUXGA LCD with displayport to the X1C through the one miniDP on X1C.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
george99
Punch Card
Views: 1,990
Message 4 of 16

This is great info guys. Thanks.  I just ordered the Matrox dualhead2go SE.  They have a wizard that tells you the most resolution/monitors you can get out of the Intel HD 4000.  Very helpful.

I noticed something else about the dock too.  The entire system is very sluggish when the dock is connected.  I want to now get a USB hub so that I can completely eliminate the crappy displaylink docks.

I need speakers, ethernet, USB mouse/keyboard hooked up thru a hub.

I'll post the results of the Matrox tomorrow when it arrives.

Highlighted
george99
Punch Card
Views: 1,975
Message 5 of 16

One other complaint about this machine, although this might be software related, not sure. I use Firefox. when I try to use 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad, it just takes about a full second to respond. This is a long time. So you do not get the instsnt feedback of how much you are scrolling, so you can never scroll to the desired location. If that makes any sense. I just tonwent back to using the red button with the center button for scrolling.
Bigmouth
Punch Card
Views: 1,887
Message 6 of 16

@george99 wrote:
One other complaint about this machine, although this might be software related, not sure. I use Firefox. when I try to use 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad, it just takes about a full second to respond. This is a long time. So you do not get the instsnt feedback of how much you are scrolling, so you can never scroll to the desired location. If that makes any sense. I just tonwent back to using the red button with the center button for scrolling.

Something is wrong. Two-finger scrolling works instantaneously for me -- has right out of the box.

george99
Punch Card
Views: 1,807
Message 7 of 16

Well, let me update this. First as for the 2 finger scrolling. It seems like the problems only happen when it is connected to the dock. The computer is basically a 486 33mhz computer when it is connected to the dock. I have nothing open. I am after a fresh restart. Very little software installed other than office 2010. Everything is in slow motion. Constantly getting stuck. The mouse lag is rediculous with the dock. I am using the doublehead2go, and that fixes the mouse lag, but the whole system is just sluggish and not very usable when docked.

On the other hand when it is not docked, it works great. However, I am docked 75% of the time, and I cannot afford to use such a slow computer.
As I type this, I have another window open. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the T430S with a REAL docking station, not displaylink garbage.
ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,800
Message 8 of 16

What external displays are you trying to drive?

FYI,  the T430s and its Optimus implementation has some issues with my Series III dock.  I am not alone.  I have seen other reports of issues.

The T420 and T420s just worked.  I sold them to get the backlit keyboard.  Bad mistake.

george99
Punch Card
Views: 1,748
Message 9 of 16

What kind of issues?
With my old T410, the laptop never sat perfectly in the dock. Always a little loose. I used 2 docks. One at home, and one at the office. It seems like the contacts under the t410 would not properly always tocuh the contacts of the dock. So my screens would occassionally flicker, only 1 speaker would work, etc.

As for the X1, I have 4 Samsung 245BW 24" monitors each at 1920x1200 in my office.
At home I have the same, but only 2 monitors. Same problems at home, so it isn't related to the qty of monitors.

I already started looking at macbooks now. I am afraid that I might make some impulsive decision, because it is driving me nuts that I can't get a decent computer anymore. The last good computer I had was the T400. The T410 and X1c have been disappointments.
ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,709
Message 10 of 16

As for the T430s and the Series 3 dock I have, keep in mind it's the 135W dock I bought when I received the ThinkPad W510 for work.  The problem I see with my dock and the T430s is that the T430s doesn't remember the configuration and state.  So when I dock the notebook and boot it, it doesn't always display on the attached monitors.  Or it changes which monitor is the primary.  Or it displays only on one monitor at 800x600 resolution.

In short, it is unpredictable and very frustrating. 

I have seen enough reports from other ThinkPad Optimus based models in this generation to know it isn't just me.  There seems to be some issues with the chipset, drivers, and hardware integration.

There were no such issues with the T420 or T420s.

It is sad to see products take a step backward.  You always think and expect continual improvement from generation to generation but it simply isn't true.  You roll the dice each time.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors