Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

12-02-2008

USA

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 4

NEW 120GB 5400rpm HD for X301!

2008-12-02, 17:27 PM
I kid you not, I was literally JUST about to order my X301 from Lenovo tonight, and lone behold I found a 120 GB HD option at a $250 savings over the 64GBSSD.

In addition when you opt for the 120 GB HD you have an option for “Intel turbo memory hard drive cache-2gb” for $50.

I think I'll go with the 120 GB HD & turbo memory and save a few $ a boot.

I'm not sure it's worth it to me to pay an extra $200 for the smaller capacity SSD.
Looks like it may be the new "Toshiba High-Performance 5,400 RPM 1.8-Inch HDDs With Micro-SATA Connector".
Is Lenovo's addition of Intel Turbo Memory 2gb, is an effort to get a performance improvement over a stock 5400rpm HD?

From what I've read the first gen Turbo Memory didn't yield any performance upgrade, however I think (hope) the latest version built upon the Centrino platform will improve performance.

I'm no expert, but why else would they make it an option only with this drive?

Here is more info on Turbo Memory thanks to Anandtech

"Intel's Turbo Memory is on-motherboard flash split into two partitions: one for ReadyDrive and one for ReadyBoost. Turbo Memory is offered in two flavors, 1GB and 512MB, with 512MB and 256MB partitions respectively.

The ReadyDrive portion of Turbo Memory is designed to work with Vista's ReadyDrive technology. ReadyDrive's fundamental goal is to cache data from the hard disk to either improve performance or in the case of a notebook, improve battery life. The primary role of ReadyDrive with Turbo Memory in a notebook, is to increase battery life.

ReadyDrive can increase battery life by fulfilling data request out of low power flash memory, and keeping the hard disk spun down when not needed. If enough data is stored in the ReadyDrive partition of Intel's Turbo Memory, the hard drive can remain spun down for significant periods of time, thereby improving overall battery life. Obviously the success of ReadyDrive depends on its ability to correctly prefetch the right data into Turbo Memory's cache, but if it works, the battery savings could be significant."

from Intel...

Intel® NAND Flash Memory, working with the Microsoft Windows Vista* ReadyBoost* and ReadyDrive* technologies, adds a new low-latency, non-volatile memory cache between the system memory and the hard drive. This enables fast access to critical data and applications.

Fast application load times, hibernation and resume
Fast overall application responsiveness
Fast boot time
Quick access to frequently used applications and/or files from User Pinning
Enhanced data loss protection using RAID

I don't know where they found room for the Turbo Memory chips, pretty amazing
Options

50 Posts

10-04-2008

Los Angeles

116 Signins

816 Page Views

• Views: 816
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: NEW 120GB 5400rpm HD for X301!

2008-12-02, 17:55 PM

If you buy a HD version you will loose a great deal of speed on the X301.  The SSHD blazes and is one reason the owners like me love this machine.  Not to mention that having no moving parts you can forget about HDD failures.  Also the power consumption and heat of a conventional HDD are also negatives.

I run 60 servers and 400 workstations and would never opt for HDD over SSHD.

Do what's best for you but I recommend the 120GB SSHD.

Message Edited by aselgat on 12-02-2008 09:56 AM
Options

7 Posts

12-02-2008

USA

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-12-03, 20:10 PM

Good points, I'm still on the fence on this issue.  I could likely get by on the 64GB SSD but would really like the extra space just in case.  The other issue is price, this is a very expensive laptop and saving a few hundred $ makes a difference to me.

I did find an IBM announcement dated 12.02 that mentions this new drive and the Intel turbo memory.

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS108-887&appname=lenovous&language=en#

Also here is more info on the drives, 3rd gen 1.8" and specs from toshiba dated Sept 25.08

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_09/pr2502.htm

For web surfing and office applications do you think this drive is up to the task?

thanks

Options

1 Posts

01-19-2009

España

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-01-19, 22:04 PM

Hello, I asked... it's posible to buy x301 with 120 hdd and 3 or 4 or 5 months after change the disk for 64 or 128 SSD??

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms