09-16-2009

Singapore

1 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 21 of 143

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

2009-09-16, 14:22 PM

I happen to see at least 3 FRU 42T4506 having this problem already on this forum.

Mine just reported the error today after only 1 year and 1 month with 272 Cycle only. I bought this one because the old one have the same problem but outside the battery warranty period of 1 year. Not sure if there is any programming to control the battery to be just over 12 months!!!

Surely if more people reporting FRU 42T4506, lenovo/IBM will pay some attention to this??

I am going down to Thinkpad service center in Singapore to see what they say next week.

Options

5 Posts

05-21-2008

Work

6 Signins

87 Page Views

• Views: 87
  • Message 22 of 143

2009-09-16, 15:15 PM

I have a X61 with a 4 cell battery.  My 4-cell battery drained very quickly once it is unplugged from the AC, like in a few minutes from 100% to 0%.  Under the directions of Lenovo, I ran the battery diagnostic software (which it didn't even run at all due to an internal error with a reference number) and Power Manager software, and I sent the results to Lenovo.  A few days later, I got my battery replacement from Lenovo.    Please do note that my battery FRU number is listed as part of the recalled battery.

In the past, I really have no hardware problems with my X61.  The only real compliants I had with Lenovo is the  built-in software, like Access Connection, etc.  In the past, I had a lot of problems with my wireless, but now, it looks like it is fixed after going through many periodic software updates by Lenovo. 

Options

1 Posts

09-17-2009

US

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 23 of 143

2009-09-17, 14:13 PM

Mark_Lenovo -

So, is that list final or is it evolving?

I have an X61 with a battery FRU# 42T4570.  It is 13 months old and my battery time that was originally about 2 hours is down to about 20 minutes.  I haven't yet gotten any error messages that the battery will not charge, but my laptop is beginning to shut down just after it gets to about 25% battery life.  That seems to me that I'm dropping from around 25% to under 5% in seconds.

Lets be honest, we all spent about 2x the money on our Lenovos than on the average laptop, and we're not happy whether we're on your list or not.

I've gotten 2 years out of previous <$1,000 laptops in the past before having this kind of battery issue.  For that extra $1,000 or so I spent for your "top of the line" brand, I'm not happy that I'm having to carry a powercord around with my extra-expensive 3 lb laptop!

What are you going to do for us?

Options

4 Posts

07-29-2009

Indiana, USA

4 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 24 of 143

2009-09-18, 15:15 PM

What a disappointment that this recall came so late.

I started have the sudden drop problem about a year and a half ago--hours of battery left on the guage and then BAM!... only 8 minutes and a change your battery warning. Research and resets yielded no solution so I just learned to tolerate it and keep my plug handy whenever I could.

Then, about two months ago the dreaded "Irreparable damage" notice, and I went from being able to count on maybe 2 hours (even though the guage said 5) to having a paperweight. Research into the problem didn't have a solution for my battery in July, but now this, which does include my battery has popped up too late for me--the detector application said that, although the FRU is one of the affected, my battery doesn't qualify because it's more than 12 months past the warranty period. I was looking into getting a new battery anyway but I was hoping to use the old one as a short time backup. I'm disappointed, of course.

And now, I'm having a different problem altogether with my new battery... but that's a matter for a different post.

Options

1960 Posts

12-02-2007

AU

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 25 of 143

2009-09-21, 9:03 AM
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 26 of 143

2009-09-22, 14:04 PM

remaven,

Sorry that you are frustrated.  Generally engineering carefully follows battery performance in the field and we have special service actions like this from time to time for specific batteries whose time to fail and type of failure skew significantly from the normal distribution.   We study this on an ongoing basis, so I can't comment on what may or may not be added in the future.

I understand your point on price expectation.   Please keep in mind that all batteries can fail in this regard, and we provide a 1 year warranty at present on all batteries across our product line whether on a $350 netbook or a $2000 high end system.

While the cell count and packaing can vary between models, the inherent battery technology is fairly similar in much the same way that the tires on a $10K economy car are similar to those on a $40K luxury car.  The tires on the luxury car are just as likely to wear out, which we all expect, or to suffer a random flat or blow out, which we do not. 

The price difference between the two laptops, just like between an economy or luxury car represents the total value created be the performance, design and included features.  The difference in price and expectations is not carried solely by the tires or batteries.

Mark

Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 27 of 143

2009-09-22, 14:36 PM

the higher price you pay for Thinkpad is not for the battery, if you purchase a battery from Lenovo or HP or Dell, the price of battery is about the same. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

3 Posts

08-15-2009

germany

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 28 of 143

2009-09-22, 14:54 PM

Dear Mark,

I am not just frustrated, that Lenovo refuses to replace other batteries (which are affected as well) because they are "out of warrenty" but also that UNIX-users have NO CHOICE NOR A CHANCE to test the battery.

Please advise me how I as UNIX- user should test the battery?

I bought the Laptop without windows and I wont change the OS to do this test....

Please forward this to your CEO or whoever cares about how statisfied your customers are.

Even if I would run a Linux you support I would not be bale to check the battery. Or?

There where serval announcements.... like:

http://www.lenovo.com/news/us/en/2006/08/t60p.html

So please don't missunderstand me. I don't blame you but Lenovo for not supporting me as customer.

But what disappoints me most is the high price for such a low quality battery.....

It is clearly a manufracturing issue and nothing which has to do anything about how I handle the battery... and by not admiting this you just make me as customer think about other vendors.

Of course it is totaly ok to say "out of warrenty"... but my battery is just out of warrenty by luck then.... and just to hide behind those "legaly secure statements" (specialy in the US maybe) wont make any customer more statisfied.

Kind regards,

Rembrandt

Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 29 of 143

2009-09-23, 9:50 AM

do you have a friend that you can test your battery in which has windows?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

3 Posts

08-15-2009

germany

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 30 of 143

2009-09-23, 10:52 AM

No because I am the only one with a ThinkPad....

My uncle owns a Toshiba and my aunt a HP...

But why can't Lenovo provide a CD-ISO starting a FreeDOS or LINUX as test tool?

If they support LINUX so much....... They do not even provide a Linux-application for doing the test.

So everybody who did not bought windows is somehow handled like a customer second class.

And it is not about the possibility to "install Windos". Please do get me right.

Why should I install Vista or Windows 7 even if I normaly don't use it.

To do what? doing something "complex like testing the battery"?

I see my 8-Cell battery IS faulty. It does not clearly recharge and the time it provides me is like 60 minutes max.

Thus I don't realy need the tool I think which brings me to the second issue: My FPU is not listed but the battery suffers from the SAME sympthoms and as far as I know I am not alone with that!

Lenovo totaly forget to comment about this. "Out of warenty" does not protect you in my country if it's a known design issue of something you sold.

And just because my battery is a littlebit older does not mean I use it 24/7 or use it wrong.

But without a tool from Lenovo I can of course not say for sure if the battery is brocken.

Thus a BOOTABLE STANDALONE ISO would be perfect I think.

A system providing non-windows customers the ability to test the batteries too.

Other vendors have battery-tests in their BIOS.

Kind regards,

Rembrandt

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete