12-07-2009

Auburn, WA

4 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 61 of 143

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

2009-12-09, 20:06 PM

Thanks hjnormey for a reassuring response. But my point is that there are people here who posted having problems with their batteries which are not part of the recall, although the problems described are very similar to those batteries which are being recalled/replaced.

I have a 3 year extended warranty (purchased 9/07) but when I checked it does not cover the battery. I have placed a service request thru Lenovo yesterday (very, very confusing by the way, as it forwards you to an IBM website where you have to register again, and when I checked the status of my inquiry it states that I called them which I did not) and so far I'm not sure if they are even going to respond to it.

I am confused but hopeful that Lenovo can still rectify the issues with these batteries (I purchased the 8-cell battery to be able to use the laptop for more than 2 hours after being fully charged).

Options

14 Posts

11-01-2009

Alicante

34 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 62 of 143

2009-12-09, 21:17 PM

Happy to have shed some light! ;)

(And, again, my battery was not strictly part of the recall either, nor within warranty...)

If I were to judge from what I've seen, posting here is the single most effective thing to do...

Options

3 Posts

12-07-2009

Auburn, WA

4 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 63 of 143

2009-12-10, 20:41 PM

Just wanted to update anyone who is interested about my battery, FRU 42T4506, mfg date 9/07. I just got off the phone from IBM support, and was told my extended warranty expired coverage for the battery last year, and I will just simply have to buy a replacement. The person (based in Atlanta) I spoke with said "it is normal for the battery to degrade at 2 years if you leave the power cord plugged in overnight; I've seen cases where it does not even last a year." So his solution is to buy a new battery, and don't leave it plugged in overnight, and just try to charge it during the day (right!, when I'm seeing patients)?@#$! I was just blown away by that comment, because that's the only time I can charge the laptop, as I use it all day in seeing patients in exam rooms (and that's the very reason I went for the 8 cell battery). I did point out to him the several posts on this subject at this very own forum. Oh well, I don't expect Lenovo to step up to this one. This is my first lenovo laptop (I have a 5 yr old SONY-still holds charge by the way even if I've always left it plugged in all the time, and 2 yr old HP) and is certainly the last. Good luck to the other guys. So long and advance Happy Holidays.

Options

7 Posts

10-19-2009

Norman OK USA

10 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 64 of 143

2009-12-11, 4:33 AM

I agree ... this is the most expensive and worst quality electronic product I have ever purchased. My 7 year old Dell laptop batteries still hold good charge, even if they are not turned on or plugged in for months.

I decided to buy a $48 AGPtEK battery from Ebay, rather than risking $180 on Lenovo. It was a good decision, because the new compatible battery was faulty, but atleast the Ebay retailer was nice enough to offer replacement or return. So long ....Lenovo

Options

6 Posts

11-01-2009

virginia

18 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 65 of 143

2009-12-15, 1:24 AM

My IBM X60s Thinkpad is well made and disagree with the post that says it is not.

On one post someone said:

In my particular case, Lenovo -did- follow through and did respond adequately.-

(Even when strictly outside of warranty and/or recall) ...

Not sure why you got taken care of and I did not when I am a long time user and proponent of Thinkpads.  My battery was part of the recall but was not was older than 1 yr and was refused to be exchanged.  Then, all of a sudden, my BATTERY DIED.  Totally unlike any NiCad or Lithium Batteries in our stable.

So, why are some get a 'adequate response' when others were probably due same and did not?

Oh yea, that golfer now stands to loose much more than if he first 'ponied up'  to the problem.

Options

14 Posts

11-01-2009

Alicante

34 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 66 of 143

2009-12-15, 1:43 AM

Indeed, I must say the X Series (and, by extension, Thinkpads) -are- well made machines ...

(We would not be here if they weren't, at least on first impression, often confirmed through years of trouble-free computing...)

And, yes, after two X61s, a 3000 N200 and (coming up, with any luck) an IdeaPad in the space of a year or so, I -can- speak to why one would go with the house, Lenovo being what it is...

... and this -might- have to do with what I felt was indeed an "adequate response", which I alluded to earlier.- ;)

Although the "right thing" remains "the right thing" to do, regardless of particulars.-

And this "right thing" rightly done, now has me considering the Q110 thin clients for deployment at some site, where a different reaction (or lack of it) would have me having, in conscience, to recommend better support as provided elsewhere...

Better support, nothing to say about quality itself, as a battery recall is just that: A big issue with a critical component affecting lots of people...

... but saying nothing about -product quality- per se, as another participant said earlier.-

Wrong supplier at the wrong time.-

And you get to disgruntle a lot of folks ...

(Further, add to it that, often, the folks manning the more "traditional" support channels seem to be a bit more "out of touch" with the reality of things than would be advisable, and you got a recipe for disaster...)

I can, and will continue to claim, however, that the forum appears to be the best way of going about complaining... ;)

Options

7 Posts

10-19-2009

Norman OK USA

10 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 67 of 143

2009-12-15, 16:01 PM

Without going into metaphysical analysis of the discriminatory treatment  -  I could simply conclude that buying the expensive and unreliable Lenovo products is NOT GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY. That is the bottom line. I will neither buy nor recommend Lenovo.

Options

1 Posts

12-22-2009

Santa Cruz, CA

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 68 of 143

2009-12-22, 3:46 AM

Failure December 8, 2009.

Worked fine the day before and was dead in hte morning.

X60 Tablet PC 6365

Battery:

FRU p/n: 93P5032

ASM p/n: 42T5209

aq`Failed at 9 cycles

Options

3 Posts

12-29-2009

USA

4 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 69 of 143

2009-12-29, 4:51 AM

I have two X61 Tablet's, and suddenly the battery showed flashing orange and "There is an error" in the Power Manager, and the battery details (e.g. cycle count) don't show anymore. 

FRU: 93P5032

ASM: 42T5209

This is very disappointing.  It seems very unreasonable for the recalls covered by MIGR-67765 and BATT-082009 to not be extended to these additional batteries with issues.  I am not very happy having to spend an extra $150+ to replace a defective battery that is part of a widespread issue.

Options

3 Posts

12-29-2009

USA

4 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 70 of 143

2009-12-29, 5:29 AM

I have two X61 Tablet's, and suddenly the battery showed flashing orange and "There is an error" in the Power Manager, and the battery details (e.g. cycle count) don't show anymore. 

FRU: 93P5032

ASM: 42T5209

This is very disappointing.  It seems odd for the recall to not be extended to the tablet batteries that have issues just like the other models. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete