Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

I have the same problem with my X61s. Just all of a sudden died last Friday. My part number is not included in the recall. I would be more angry - luckily my company reimburses for the battery. But this is horse.....

My laptop is 17 months old, battery FRU is 92P1227

For those who need to buy, I purchased from TheNerds.net - battery is $100 (OEM Lenovo part).

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with my FRU 42T4506, which is 3 months out of warranty.

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

46 cycles on my FRU 92P1227, and now it goes from 70% to 0%, no heads up from Power Manager that it's running low. 2 of the 46 cycles were battery gauge resets.

Frustratingly, Thinkvantage Power Manager reports that the battery is fine and in good condition. I thought the rationale for Power Manager was that Lenovo knows more about the battery than Microsoft? So far it looks like a useless application that consumes more memory.

Hardly used the x61s in comparison to my old 770ED. IIRC, when my 770ED battery died in my 3 year warranty with frequent usage, IBM replaced it for free. Given my x61s usage, I would have been better off not extending the warranty, instead purchasing another battery.

The reason I hardly use the x61s was because of the abominable performance under Vista. I installed Windows 7, which is awesome, and it feels like I bought a new laptop.

A new laptop with a 3/4 dead $180 battery.

Punch Card
0 Kudos

Re: NEW Battery Tip -

Batteries don't just suddenly go kaput.  The battery cells have to be good and the communication link between the battery and the computer needs to be re-established.  Seems like there would be a program that could reset whatever went wrong in the battery or that there would be some chip that we could replace.  Does this seem like a valid deduction?

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

I don't know why the sticker on the battery states one p/n (92P1227) and the info from the battery information application states another (93P5030), which one is the correct? I'm going with the later one because it entitles me to a replacement battery Smiley Happy. I don't know which info all other of you are using.

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

You're right nicfer, the battery utility reports it's 93P5030, which is different from what the sticker says. This FRU is covered by the recall.

The battery recall utility says everything's super and I don't qualify for the recall. Odd that the battery utility squirrels away the results of the test in the registry, and the user has to go hunt down what it stuffed in there.

This is all so sketchy. If the battery were an egg, I think I'd be in the hospital with salmonella enteritidis.

Serial Port
0 Kudos

Hi, did one of you guys found out how to check the battery under Linux. Many complaints coming up but Lenovo doesn't react. I called them an they referred me to the Email address: logistpe@lenovo.com

No reply since two weeks. I'll try again.

Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The purpose of this thread is a simple list of those who are affected by the "sudden battery death" situation which can be identified by a battery suddenly failing to charge. While this may be considered duplicate information, there isn't presently an easily-discoverable thread where a visitor would know to post. I would ask that this not be merged so that others coming here looking for information might add themselves to this list.

There have been voluntary actions on Lenovo's part (not the same as a recall) to replace [b]some[/b] of these batteries. Depending on the FRU of your battery, your opportunity window may have been closed.

Particularly, there have been reports of this sudden failure on the current FRU 93P5032 which is not qualified for replacement at this time.

If you have been affected, please post here with the battery FRU as well as the approximate date of failure and the cycle count (if you know it)

Ex:

FRU 42T5251

October 2009

Highlighted
Serial Port
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine failed aprox a week ago.-

I must say I am aware Lenovo is taking steps to resolve this reasonably as you well say, even with those users not strictly included in the recall, such as in my case, given the FRU below...

FRU 93P5032
Cycles: 630
Manufacture date. 24/08/2007
Serial: 1ZDG278R04S

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Battery on my X61 tablet failed suddenly in 10/2009. Battery was manufactured 2/2008 and first used 5/2008 and only had 161 cycles. I was getting 6-7 hours battery life one day, and then suddenly battery error the next day. FRU is 93P5032 and is not being replaced free of charge by Lenovo.