Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sachinpravasi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,129
Message 111 of 136

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

Keep away from Lenovo. I've faced a problem with battery charger adaptor and do you know how much time they took to put things in place? More than 3 weeks! Can you or your company afford waiting for soooo long? The problem such dragged that I was supposed to update right from warranty to following up at each desk of Lenovo. Thanks to mails, but I could not avoid rushing to service centre thrice. In fact as obviuosly I couldn't wait and had to buy a charger from open market. My experience is `Lenovo India' is like Govt. of India from its data for product and warranty updates to Technical Support executives and last in the league tooo down their IBM employees and service outsourcing...! Go to them only if you are thinking you have all the time in the world to wait for their inactions, ability to fight at each of their desks and obviously spend money to get your part replaced yourself as I understand people using computers in itself proove that they can't live without powerless machines for I month....

jian
What's DOS?
Views: 1,063
Message 112 of 136

My battery failed after only 26 charges!  I couldn't believe it. I was using it at 80% or so when I suddenly got a message that my battery was low and that i should plug in the AC adaptor.  Initially I thought this was a calibration issue so proceeded to continuosly 'reset' the battery with Power Manager... until this week when i discovered that there had been a recall... over a year ago.

As you can probably guess, while the part number is on the list, the warranty on the battery has already expired so I am not entitled to a replacement.  What makes it more galling is the fact that:

1. I took steps to try and ensure the battery would be long lasting by using Power Manager's battery optimisation settings, and

2. I had registered the X61 so would have expected notification of the recall, however, as I have always suspected, registration appears to be solely for the purpose of marketing.

i don't see why my battery should be excluded on the basis of its age given that is exhibits the symptons set out in the recall.  if it's faulty, it;s faulty.

This has seriously put me off Lenovo and I will think carefully before I buy another.

teresap989
What's DOS?
Views: 1,021
Message 113 of 136

My X60 Tablet battery is suffering from the same issue. It was covered under the recall but closed before I had purchased the machine. There are only 40 cycles on it and the sensor says it should still hold its full capacity, so I am very disappointed that I am now met with the battery error and inability to charge the battery.

kfcheung
Paper Tape
Views: 876
Message 114 of 136

Hi,

I got the same issue of battery failure.... My X61 battery (same FRU number as in the replacement program)started to fail to charge and said it is due to normal wear in Sept this year... But you know it has just charged 37 cycle counts! I dun think it is normal wear...  I have checked with the diagnostic tool and it replied the program has ended? I thought I was unlucky but how come the web page now says the expiry date is 1st Oct? Can I still get into the replacement program???

Thanks...

heretohelp
Token Ring
Views: 866
Message 115 of 136

This might help clear a few issues up there is more than one battery diagnostic tool for replacement.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Battery-Damaged/td-p/288808

jkuntz
Punch Card
Views: 799
Message 116 of 136

Hi,

I've recently had battery issues and only now has it irritated me enough to look into resolutions.

I just read this sticky post and my FRU# is in the list of batteries in this recall.  I follow the link but it expired Oct 1st.

How can I make a claim against this recall if it's expired now?  My model is x61s and 7668-CTO is the product ID.  

The battery indicator doesn't reflect reality - even tonight I turned it on, it showed 4 hours left, I had a reboot due to an install of some new software, and it still said 3.5 hrs remaining.  No more than 5 minutes later the computer went into hibernation and when I turned it back on (and plugged it in) it said there was 5% capacity left.  This has been happening for a few weeks now.

According to the power manager I've had 168 cycles on it.  

Please advise... this is driving me nuts!

BigBossMan
Token Ring
Views: 764
Message 117 of 136

According to my Power Manager on my x60 1709-CTO, I have a 93P5030 battery. The cycle count is at 134. The battery seems to work fine. For the most part, I followed storage and conditioning recommendations.

From The Power Manager:

Manufacturer name: SONY

Manufacture date: 2007-04-23

First used: 2007-05

Current Temperature: 33C (actually using the battery right now)

I can give you the Serial Number and Barcode Number also.

Please respond, Is this a recall item?

Thank You

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 743
Message 118 of 136

Hi BigBossMan!

You've been using that battery for almost 3.5 years! Lithium-ion batteries typically last 2-3 years, and may last as little as 12-18 months. You're getting a good run out of that one - you must be looking after it!

The replacement program, now ended, applied to batteries which showed particular symptoms and failed the diagnostic tool.  Thankfully your battery is symptom-free.

You might find these knowledge base articles useful:

"Why did my battery die?"

"How can I increase battery life?"

"Why did my battery lose capacity?"

"Should I run with my battery in or out?"

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
fongj
Paper Tape
Views: 736
Message 119 of 136

Hi Bananaman,

Good to know someone, volunteer or otherwise, still notices this thread.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to discuss how "the replacement program" is a bit misleading, mostly because the "diagnostic" tool was also restricted to certain FRUs, and unreasonably so by the opinions of many of us here. 

X60t and X61t systems/batteries that showed the exact "particular" symptoms described in replacement program were automatically exempted by the diagnostic tool.   Its kind of like if there was a malaria outbreak on the west coast and a doctor automatically said to a patient from the midwest with all the symptoms that it wasn't possible for him/her to have malaria because the outbreak is on the west coast. Maybe the question the doctor should have asked is if the outbreak spread to the midwest too!

This doesn't apply to BigBossMan because he has a X60, but has Lenovo every fully addressed this concern from their loyal tablet customers?  Many of us have prematurely had to buy replacement batteries, and that has left a very sour taste in our mouths.

BigBossMan
Token Ring
Views: 717
Message 120 of 136

Basically, If you are pretty sure that your going to be plugged into the wall for long periods of time. Just discharge the battery and set it aside and use a $40 UPS. I did mostly weekend warrior type stuff away from home with my battery, but during the week, I was plugged into the wall. With time, I learned a UPS was a good idea for home use.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors