Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-30-2015

georgia

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 1

Need help understanding service, repair, operating system reinstall

2015-06-30, 2:56 AM

I bought a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3443 laptop on the black friday sale in November 2013. 

Due to demand, the unit didn't ship until after Christmas. I didn't complain, but Lenovo offered a 5% rebate for my troubles. Still waiting on that to be processed.

I've had all the documented problems with the Intel 6205 wireless card that are all over the forums. I finally upgraded my router just to resolve the issue.

In March of 2015, after the warranty expired, one of the hinges broke. I took it to an authorized repair facility and was told (after 4 weeks) the part was no longer available. 

I called the service center listed on the website. They offered to ship me a box so I could send them the laptop for evaluation. Since it was out of warranty I would have to pay for any repairs.

After two weeks, they sent the laptop back. They never contacted me during the process. I didn't get any quotes on the cost, nor did I authorize any work. They say they fixed the laptop. I can see the hinge is physically fixed. However, I cannot start the laptop. They wiped all my data, including the operating system. 

I have all my files backed up,  but since this laptop does not have a CD or DVD drive, I don't have a way to reinstall the OS, which is Windows 8.1.

Also, today, I received an invoice, saying they charged my credit card for what is almost the cost of a new machine. Lesson learned, never give the Chinese your credit card.

So, my question, is there any way I can reinstall Windows 8.1? I don't have it on a disk or any hardware. It was shipped with the laptop at purchase. Service deleted it, so I don't have a copy at all.

Also, don't be like me. Buy something else.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms