Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianfriesen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 35,050
Message 1 of 191

New 2014 X1 Carbon owner very unhappy.

I received my new X1 model (i7 Haswell Touchscreen) a couple days ago and here are my thoughts

- BAD keyboard. I just don't know what Lenovo was thinking! The feeling of the buttons is ok, but I'm constantly having to look down at it. The Home, End, Delete, Backspace placements aren't intuitive and have caused many errors.

- Adaptive Keys are nonsensical!!! I thought we were going to be able to program them? They're constantly changing and flickering.. just a huge annoyance. If you have browswers, MS programs, PS, and other programs open at the same time it's a nightmare! And the LCD strip is a bit cheap looking too.

- Screen: The images lack sharpness and text is blurry at times! Brightness and Color replication are decent, but both could be much better. There's some edge light bleed as well which you'll notice on black screens and 16:9 content. My wife has a Mac and her screen is just so much better. The X1 screen is also pretty reflective for what it claims to be "non-reflective".

- Trackpad.. it has decent feedback & gliding, but I'm missing the buttons a lot more than I thought I would when I first saw the design. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I don't much enjoy it either.

- Gesture Controls: these are pretty silly and limited. There's also too much lag. They're mildly fun to play around with once, but I would never use them again.

Conclusion:

I have owned 5 different ThinkPads over time and have been very loyal to IBM & ThinkPad over the years, but I simply can not recommend the new X1 to anyone for serious business purposes. There's too many interface areas that hamper your production. I'm very disappointed with this release by Lenovo.

Of course if you're more of a casual media user, then the X1 wouldn't be for you. The X1 line is supposed to cater to business users, but Lenovo has actually hurt that experience here.

The build is the only thing I'm relatively satisfied with - it's pretty solid and nice to the touch. And I've always preferred a 14" screen size. But these two things aren't nearly enough for this i7 machine and its price. Bottom line, there's too many functionality issues that I can't get over. It's just not an enjoyable user experience.

If Lenovo would've just made this with the X1 Gen 1's keyboard and touchpad, I would've liked it so much more. Unfortunately, the Gen 1's screen was so horrible that I ruled it out a long a time ago.

Mike
Punch Card
Views: 34,798
Message 2 of 191

No Insert key in the New X1 Carbon

What astonishes me the most about the new X1 Carbon keyboard is the removal of the Insert key.

I'm looking at the programs I have running right now and use every day, and all of the following have important keyboard shortcuts that use the Insert key, either by itself or combined with other keys:

• IntelliJ IDEA
  • Komodo IDE
  • Visual Studio 2013
  • SmartGit/Hg
  • SecureCRT
  • Microsoft Excel
  • Take Command
  • Beyond Compare
  • pgAdmin III
  • Paintshop Pro X6

I guess ThinkPad users aren't expected to use programs like these any more.

gazpel
Paper Tape
Views: 34,764
Message 3 of 191

Re: New 2014 X1 Carbon owner very unhappy.

@brianfriesen wrote:

[...]

If Lenovo would've just made this with the X1 Gen 1's keyboard and touchpad, I would've liked it so much more. ...

So true, if they simply kept the x1c keyboard with sane layout and real trackpoint buttons i'd already have bought the top model even if it was 2500€, at least  onelink pro would have also been on my way..

brianfriesen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 34,619
Message 4 of 191

Re: No Insert key in the New X1 Carbon

@Mike wrote:

What astonishes me the most about the new X1 Carbon keyboard is the removal of the Insert key.

I'm looking at the programs I have running right now and use every day, and all of the following have important keyboard shortcuts that use the Insert key, either by itself or combined with other keys:

• IntelliJ IDEA
  • Komodo IDE
  • Visual Studio 2013
  • SmartGit/Hg
  • SecureCRT
  • Microsoft Excel
  • Take Command
  • Beyond Compare
  • pgAdmin III
  • Paintshop Pro X6

I guess ThinkPad users aren't expected to use programs like these any more.

That's another excellent point. I routinely use 3 to 4 of those programs you listed and I can tell you firsthand that in both Visual Studio and Excel this new keyboard and FN keys have made functionality an absolute nightmare!

brianfriesen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 34,616
Message 5 of 191

@gazpel wrote:

@brianfriesen wrote:

[...]

If Lenovo would've just made this with the X1 Gen 1's keyboard and touchpad, I would've liked it so much more. ...

So true, if they simply kept the x1c keyboard with sane layout and real trackpoint buttons i'd already have bought the top model even if it was 2500€, at least  onelink pro would have also been on my way..

Lenovo could have at least added an option for a traditional keyboard including real FN keys, but no. The touchpad experience isn't satisfactory either on the whole, especially without the buttons. It's incredible how much these two factors hamper productivity.

Former Administrator
Views: 34,609
Message 6 of 191

Re: New 2014 X1 Carbon owner feedback

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback.   When I first saw the new keyboard, it occured to me that there may be a transistion period moving to it from another system with a more traditional keyboard layout.   Do you think your view might evolve a bit with some time?

The touch strip displays different function icons (I believe there are 4 versions you can manually cycle through) based on what application is currently selected, so I would imagine that if you click back and forth between browser and apps that it would change frequently.

Your observations here seem understandably focused on the way in which we interact with the system.  What are some of your other impressions of the build quality, port locations, weight,  battery life and recharge time,  wifi and overall performance?

In addition to further feedback now, would you come back to this thread in a couple weeks and see if your thoughts have evolved on the keyboard and other features? 

Best regards,

Mark

brianfriesen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 34,594
Message 7 of 191

Couple more things I forgot to mention in my first review

- The RAM is soldered in and limited to ONLY 8GB, so there is no user upgrade possible. There is no DIMM slot. This goes against everything that the ThinkPad series use to represent - end user freedom for expandability.

- There is no SD Card multi-reader either, which is more of an inconvenience than I thought it would be.

Both are headscratching hardware decisions by Lenovo that won't endear users to the X1C.

brianfriesen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 34,588
Message 8 of 191

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback.   When I first saw the new keyboard, it occured to me that there may be a transistion period moving to it from another system with a more traditional keyboard layout.   Do you think your view might evolve a bit with some time?

The touch strip displays different function icons (I believe there are 4 versions you can manually cycle through) based on what application is currently selected, so I would imagine that if you click back and forth between browser and apps that it would change frequently.

Your observations here seem understandably focused on the way in which we interact with the system.  What are some of your other impressions of the build quality, port locations, weight,  battery life and recharge time,  wifi and overall performance?

In addition to further feedback now, would you come back to this thread in a couple weeks and see if your thoughts have evolved on the keyboard and other features? 

Best regards,

Mark

Mark,

The build I mentioned - for the most part it feels solid and nice to the touch. However, Lenovo seemed too consumed with being "thin and light", which unfortauntely means sacrificed ports and end user expandability. That is not a favorable tradeoff for me personally. While portability is very important, it wouldn't require a much thicker or heavier form factor to include such things.

I'll be sitting with it for at least another couple weeks and am happy to post any further comments should things change, but I have to be honest in saying that I'm currently having a very hard time justifying the purchase.

Former Administrator
Views: 34,573
Message 9 of 191

Brian,

Again, thanks for the open discussion and candid feedback!

The last generation X1 also had soldered ram, and initial configs didn't offer an i7 with 8 GB combo which triggered a lot of speculation and head scratching.  Personally, I like system designs (not just computers)  that are as modular as possible, so I would conventionally favor socketed memory too.  I think about upgradability and then out of warranty, if the ram goes bad, I can swap it instead of looking for a system board.   On the flip side, eliminating the socket saves size, weight and cost, and may actually improve reliability because it is soldered.   Perhaps a lot of this trend is driven by ultrabook specs.

Anyway, I am really interested in how / if your views change after living with the Carbon for a few weeks.

Keep us posted....

Best regards,

Mark

andrew4ceo
Token Ring
Views: 34,325
Message 10 of 191

X1 Carbon Form over function. 

Sorry Lenovo, but we PC users aren't as stupid at the Mac Users.  We actually use our laptops to perform task other than watching youtube.

What's the point of thin and light if we have to carry a docking station too?  lol

only 2 usb port, no sd card reader.   3 USB port is minium.  And a SD card reader should be standard.  It's not even included in the docking station.

So now, for this new and amazing thin and light laptop, we have to carry

1. USB keyboard
2. Docking station
3. SD card reader
4. Wired mouse or bluetooth mouse + batteries if all usb ports are used.

It's no longer thin or light is it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors