DE

19 Signins

197 Page Views

• Views: 197
  • Message 1 of 12

New Lenovo X1 Extreme + Docking Station nightmare

2019-10-09, 10:13 AM

Hello,

I'm an independent Software Developer and a new project required to buy a new notebook. Because I depend hardly on it I decided to buy one of the best I could find - I really can't afford any computer issues.

So I ordered on 21 July a custom build Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen1. Unfortunately the notebook arrived DOA (could not be charged via power supply). I returned it immediately but still had to wait till 19. September to receive a replacement unit. This very long delay had a big drawback on my work.

The new notebook seems to work good and I really like it. So I decided to order a Docking Station because I need 3 extern monitors, Lan cable etc.

I ordered the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock 230W (40AN0230EU). I connected both power supplies (230W AND 65W) and connected the Docking Station to the X1 Extreme. 3 Monitors worked well but the Notbook will not charge via Docking Station (but it charges using the notebook power supply). I got the Windows message that not enough power is delivered to the notebook. I installed the new Firmware (3.1.64) to the Dock and all new drivers, Firmware and Bios to the Notebook.

Again I called the Lenovo Support. They sent me a new Docking station (without cables and power suplies ?!?). Still the same issue.

Because the issue could be caused by a damaged power supply I returned the first ordered Docking Station to the vendor and purchased a new one from another vendor. Still the same issue....

I again called the Lenovo support and they sent me a new mainbord for the X1 Extreme. It was yesterday replaced by a Lenovo technician. Still same issue. He also could not give any solution for the charging problem.

BUT we noticed that when replacing the 65W Docking power supply by the 135W power supply of the X1 Extreme the notebook will be charged. But the Docking station was delivered with a 65W supply and I don't want to replace it each time I have to take the notebook to a customer. The Docking station should work totally stationary and with the delivered components

Today I called again the Lenovo Hotline (again about 1 hour waiting to be connected and telling the issue). She tells me that I should send the notebook to a service center.... It seems not to be possible to speek to a Lenovo technician to explain the whole issue. And the first level support seems not to be qualified to handle this issue.

I cannot send the notebook again to a service center. I need it urgently and I don't think that there is any issue with it (charging perfectly with its power supply and/or the docking station when switching the power supply like described above). I already lost a lot of time (first order on 22 July) and I cannot explain the customer that he has to wait for more time until I can begin to work on the project. This issue already costs me a lot of money. And I initially orderd one of the best notebooks in order to prevent problems...

Any ideas? I'm really absolutely desperated

Options

7495 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32266 Signins

1188180 Page Views

• Views: 1188180
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: New Lenovo X1 Extreme + Docking Station nightmare

2019-10-09, 11:36 AM

wrote:

I installed the new Firmware (3.1.64) to the Dock and all new drivers, Firmware and Bios to the Notebook.

Sorry you're not having a great experience, could I ask you to please confirm the BIOS version you have currently installed, I appreciate the board was replaced but it may have missed receiving version 1.24.

<1.24>
 UEFI: 1.24 / ECP: 1.12
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where "PC isn't charge" is displayed when ThinkPad TBT Workstation
        Dock is connected.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-extreme/downloads/DS504956

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

12 Posts

10-09-2019

DE

19 Signins

197 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2019-10-09, 11:53 AM

Hello,

I installed yesterday Bios 1.24 and newest Firmware via Lenovo Vantage. Vantage also says that everthing is up to date. Same on the previous Board.

And in the Bios:

Config -> Thunderbolt -> Security Level = No Security

Edit: 

And it charges with 135W instead of 65W

Options

7705 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76823 Signins

2152543 Page Views

• Views: 2152543
  • Message 4 of 12

2019-10-10, 0:34 AM

Hi,

I don't have that laptop or dock, and please forgive me for asking about something you've likely tried many times...

You say that with both delivered power supplies plugged in the laptop doesn't charge.  If you replace the 65W supply with one of the larger ones it does charge?

As I read the UG it appears that  the dock is intended to operate with both power supplies attached. From what you describe it sounds like the two bricks are reversed: the big one is plugged into the dock input intended for powering the dock, and the little (65W) is plugged into the pass-through port intended to power the laptop.  What happens if you swap the  way the two provided bricks are plugged into the dock?

I realize this sounds silly and I intend no offense... just had to ask.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

12 Posts

10-09-2019

DE

19 Signins

197 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2019-10-10, 7:39 AM

Hello,

I plugged the power supplies like the labels on the dock indicate: 230W in 170W/230W and 65W in 65W/135W.  All 3 docking stations I have tested didn't charge the X1 Extreme. And I don't like to place 230W on a place where 135W is indicated as max.

Yesterday someone from Lenovo logged into my system and checked everything. He didn't found anything wrong. Now I have sent a msinfo nfo file to Lenovo for further investigation.

But I don't expect any success by checking the windows system. The docking station even don't charge the notebook if Windows is shut down - so Windows can not be the cause.

Options

12 Posts

10-09-2019

DE

19 Signins

197 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2019-10-10, 13:13 PM

It's strange that no Lenovo support person is interested in checking the 65W power supply part and event didn't sent one as part of the replacement shipment. The error report is that the notbook does not receive enough power. Checking the power supply makes more sense than checking the Windows system because the docking station should also charge when the system is shut down .. and it doesn't.

I have read a lot of reports (also an Amazon Germany) about original Lenovo 65W power supplies that stop working after only a few uses.

Why not checking the most obvious part causing this problem? I already have asked multiple times for replacement power supply parts. 

Really, I'm loosing a tremendous amount of time on this issue. Not counting other problems it already caused on my work. And this on a system that costs about 3000 EUR.

Options

6 Posts

03-02-2018

GB

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 7 of 12

2019-10-11, 19:59 PM

Hi, I see this post has been on for a while now and i've just noticed it. I have the same configuration as you but don't have any issues at all so I'm wondering if you have solved them by now. if not I don't see how this can be a problem unless the power supply or docking station is faulty.

I simply plug my x1 extreme in using the supplied docking station dual plug then plug in the station using my 135w power supply from my laptop into the docking station. Then plug in the wire (not supplied with the station or the laptop) into the 135W power output on the docking station into the laptop to charge it.

Remember the docking station dual plug is only for the sound and video it won't supply any power to the laptop for charging purposes. 

You can check this but pluging in both the supplied power supplies. one to the docking station and the other separate to the laptop. both 135W supplies. (there is no 65w supply)

Hope this makes sense.

Kind regards

Harrison 

Options

12 Posts

10-09-2019

DE

19 Signins

197 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2019-10-11, 20:42 PM

sure, the docking station should also charge the notebook ... and it does with another charger combination than the delivered one.

The Gen 2 Docking Station has a combined USB Type C and power supply cable. So there is only one possibility to connect the notebook to the docking station. The way to supply the docking station with power is also simple:Connect the 2 power supplies delivered with the dock (230W & 65W !) to the corresponding labeled entries (like described in the documentation and verified by Lenovo support via serial number multiple times).

Options

6 Posts

03-02-2018

GB

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 9 of 12

2019-10-11, 20:56 PM

That's strange , I only have two power supplies. 1 supplied with my laptop and 1 with my docking station both have the same output of 135W there is no 65W at all.

I use a separate power cable from the docking station 135w output to the socket on my laptop and it works. I have of course plugged in the dual plug coming from the docking station which is only really a usb C conncetion for video and sound.

Options

25 Posts

07-21-2019

DE

56 Signins

423 Page Views

• Views: 423
  • Message 10 of 12

2019-10-12, 15:25 PM

@Harrison100

Are you sure you are talking about the Lenovo Workstation dock?

I have the Workstation dock and it is excatly as stated by OP: The dock comes with two power supplies, 170/230w (depending on the model) and 65w. You have to plugin both of them and since the dock-to-pc plug is a combination of usb-c and the power plug there is simply no other way to connect the dock.

I can't help with the actual matter though, but I agree that it is likely that the 65w power supply is damaged. I probably would try to get my hands on another 65w one and test with that, but depending where you live that might be simpler said than done. However, amazon sells these for around 30 bucks and if the one delivered works you at least know what the problem is. It if doesn't... well, you can at least send it back then.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save