Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yibosun
Token Ring
Views: 2,572
Message 1 of 6

New X1 carbon (2014) - NOT a productivity tool any more

I was a big fan of thinkpad X-serie and owned 8 or 9 of them.

Purchases nx1c and thought that it'll be my baby for next two years, but now I am thinking to return it since I buy it for work, not to use as an iPad.

Below are some pain points, and hopefully the New New X1 carbon will get right on them.

1. Adaptive keyboard seems to be fancy idea, but works horrible
(1) Delay introduced by switching keyboard layouts to perform some common tasks
- e.g. F2 to rename/F5 to refresh/Alt+F4 to close/...
- e.g. F5/F7/F9/F10/F11/F12 in coding with visual studio
- e.g. Snipping tool is only available in browser mode, but I need it somewhere else

(2) Delay introduced by the easiness to misclick
- e.g. during debugging, need frequently click F10/F11/etc.. Without looking down, I can't make sure I clicked the right key, and I have to be carefully not swiped over the next key which sometimes mean I have to do the whole thing over

(3) No way to program or delete certain layouts
- I am not a meeting guy, may I remove the web conference layout for fast-switching between modes?
- Snipping tool is really too limited, and I want program it call original PrintScreen, but there's NO way
- Some features are there just for being "fancy", like swiping before webcam to go prev/next page, really wish I can replace them but again, NO way

2. An epic fail in the keyboard change.
I am okay to put some time to get use to some minor changes, but big changes (HOME/END at left), removing some commonly used keys (PrintScreen, Break, Insert), that's too much.

3. TrackPoint without physical buttons are far less convenient. When using TrackPoint, single tap on touchpad to click doesn't work, seems by design - but a bad one.

4. Touchpad: tap with the side of thumb will easily move the mouse cursor upwards and away from the original target position.

5. Windows8 displays horribly in high dpi

6. The power adapter for old thinkpads doesn't work with nx1c, but no adapter tips are available

7. 9 hours? I got slightly over 5 hours max.

In short, the designer goes too far to make nx1c slim and fancy, and now it is not a productivity tool anymore.

jeffnt326
Paper Tape
Views: 2,424
Message 2 of 6

Re: New X1 carbon (2014) - NOT a productivity tool any more

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing these problems..at this point, I'm not sure what to do. I can't stand the backlight bleed around the edges of my unit or the unevenness of the backlight in general across the entire display.

The touchpad...it's driving me crazy when I lift or place my finger down causing the pointer to jump off from what I had moused over..

So yeah...not sure what to do...

yibosun
Token Ring
Views: 2,416
Message 3 of 6

I am totally with you...

Well, I just returned this fancy toy yesterday and purchased a 1st gen x1c. Hopefullyl, the 3rd gen will get things right.

yibosun
Token Ring
Views: 2,302
Message 4 of 6

Interesting, got email asking me if the return resolved my issue ...what can I say, it indeed did.

So I resolved my post as solved.

FrancineSpronck
Paper Tape
Views: 1,578
Message 5 of 6

Again an article that confirms that Lenovo has ruined a beautiful machine:

http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/laptops/2014-06/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-ultrabook

theking2
Token Ring
Views: 1,356
Message 6 of 6

I can't really share any of the complaints.

Compared to my T430s this is just the machine I was looking for. Although I tweaked the T430s into a dual SSD machine (getting rid of a useless CD/DVD combo) I was looking for something slimmer and lighter. The X1 Carbon has a wopping 500G SSD (more than the dual I had) has a far better screen (the T430s has horrible viewing angles and colarization due to the TFT) the IPS is so much better. I don't see any bleed on the side of the screen either. 

The X1 shaves off 500g, and is much tinner (but has less ports). The one thing I liked, very much, on the T430 are the connection at the back instead of front, but I think I can live with the power plug sticking out at the left side, although that is were my mouse is. 

No; I pretty happe with the Fedora 20 on my X1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors