Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Robert1371
Paper Tape
Views: 2,391
Message 1 of 13

New X1 --- error msg at startup

My new Thinkpad X1 has a problem: after booting into Windows 10 Pro, an error message appears on the home screen. The message is:

"There was a problem starting C:\Program Files(x86)ThinkPad\Utilities\PWMTR64V.dll The specified module could not be found."

Otherwise, everything else seems to work fine.

I originally set up Windows 10 Pro with a Microsoft account, then updated all the Windows and Lenovo files.

Then I realized I could do the setup without a Microsoft account which I didn't want anyway. So I then did a Windows system reset and did a clean setup this time with a personal account. Then I again updated the Windows and Lenovo files. 

Then the next time I restarted the computer, I got the error message.

I did a file search for the missing PWMTR64V.dll, and I found it in another folder: 

c:\Program Data\Lenovo\ImController\Plugins\ThinkpowerPackage\x86\PWMTR64V.dll.

Just to see if I could get rid of the error message, I copied the PWMTR64V.dll file, then created 

C:\Program Files(x86)ThinkPad\Utilities\folder and pasted the dll there. Then, at system startup, the error msg did not appear.

The problem seems to be fixed, but it is no real fix --- and now I wonder if there might be other files that might have been displaced as well, and that might cause trouble in the future.

So my question is --- why might this be happening? What Lenovo program is looking for this dll where it doesn't exist? Is there a Windows reset that goes deeper than the system reset? Any ideas?

I just got this computer and haven't loaded anything yet, so I don't mind wiping everything out right now.

I purchased the 3-year onsite warranty upgrade, but Lenovo said it didn't cover software issues. I may have to return this computer because of the uncertainty about this problem. Any help or clues appreciated.

Guru
Views: 2,371
Message 2 of 13

Re: New X1 --- error msg at startup

Hi see below support article.  Not sure why a new machine would have this issue though.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500208

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

flyte
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,306
Message 3 of 13

I had the same thing happen to me too.. not sure what cause it ... 

Banova
What's DOS?
Views: 2,243
Message 4 of 13

I got same issue with you.

And I also use your solution.

But I google and found the right solution for this case.

In the folder that the file you found.

It got setup.exe in it.

Just run it and it passed correctly.

It maybe the Win10 Recovery loss this APP.

C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\ImController\Plugins\ThinkPowerPackage\x86\setup.exe

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,038
Message 5 of 13

Sorry for this problem.  Although running "C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\ImController\Plugins\ThinkPowerPackage\x86\setup.exe" will make the error message go away, it will also end up installing a back-level module that contains known bugs.  To avoid this problem and continuing using the latest module, please follow these steps:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/RunDLL-error-message-about-PWMTR64V-dll/t...

We will fix this issue permanently in a Windows Update in early 2019.

Mikeats
Paper Tape
Views: 1,914
Message 6 of 13

Thank you someotherguy for the detailed explaination and fix!  The issue was bedeviling me...making me second guess my (admittedly weak) troubleshooting kung fu skills....

Robert1371
Paper Tape
Views: 1,912
Message 7 of 13

Thanks, everyone, the issue got resolved. Lenovo sent me a recovery USB stick. I reloaded Win10, and all is well.

Robert

Helios-Comms
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,754
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for this - assuming the linked articles works. I've just doing a Windows reset (from recovery) of a E480 and a A485 and both now have this error. So it's a fault across lots of different Thinkpads
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,749
Message 9 of 13

@Helios-Comms wrote:
Thanks for this - assuming the linked articles works. I've just doing a Windows reset (from recovery) of a E480 and a A485 and both now have this error. So it's a fault across lots of different Thinkpads

Yes, the problem happens after doing a reset.  These steps will fix it:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/RunDLL-error-message-about-PWMTR64V-dll/t...

May I know why you did a reset?  I'm just curious.

Helios-Comms
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,746
Message 10 of 13

And yes, the article linked above about updating the Lenovo Power Manager driver and selecting from the existing list works a treat.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors