Did you mean: 
reefgeorge
Punch Card
Views: 464
Message 1 of 7

New X230 impressions

Good build quality

Nice screen

PITA touchpad. Lighted keyboard option is outstanding. Cursor randomly jumps to new positions while typing, have not figured why yet.

Bazing fast boot with XP on a Mushkin mSATA drive

Very quiet

Battery life is good

Overall I like it but it is not perfect. Beats the T430 fan noise issues which is where I started out looking. I also own a T43, T530, S10.

Bigmouth
Punch Card
Views: 434
Message 2 of 7

Re: New X230 impressions

@reefgeorge wrote:

Good build quality

Nice screen

PITA touchpad. Lighted keyboard option is outstanding. Cursor randomly jumps to new positions while typing, have not figured why yet.

Bazing fast boot with XP on a Mushkin mSATA drive

Very quiet

Battery life is good

Overall I like it but it is not perfect. Beats the T430 fan noise issues which is where I started out looking. I also own a T43, T530, S10.

Could the cursor jumping be the result of inadvertently hitting the touch pad? That's usually the culprit for me.

reefgeorge
Punch Card
Views: 420
Message 3 of 7

I could be touching the touch pad I suppose but I have never had this problem in all of the laptops that I have owned. The touch pad does curl over the top partially on to the front of the laptop deck so maybe its easier to hit. The cursor is flying around as I am typing this reply.

Bigmouth
Punch Card
Views: 360
Message 4 of 7

@reefgeorge wrote:

I could be touching the touch pad I suppose but I have never had this problem in all of the laptops that I have owned. The touch pad does curl over the top partially on to the front of the laptop deck so maybe its easier to hit. The cursor is flying around as I am typing this reply.

Well, that doesn't sound right. I'm guessing there's something wrong with your touchpad. But just in case, have you experimented with changing the sensitivity in the UltraNav controls?

reefgeorge
Punch Card
Views: 338
Message 5 of 7

My new E530 does the same thing.

ceb
WWAN
Views: 334
Message 6 of 7

From the numerous complaints here (and my own experience) this really seems to be a software issue. Changing to the Synaptics driver (non-Lenovo) improves it dramatically as does playing with the settings - but it still isn't right.

I've found the build quality a bit sub-par. The bezel surrounding the screen seems flimsy and has fitment issues - the sides protrude a bit over the lid allowing a fingernail or clothing to catch. The left front palmrest flexes over the open port and the entire computer just doesn't seem as well built as my 2005/2006/2007 Dell D430 computers.

As I have two X230 computers I can compare build quality between the two and both exhibit the same issues so it seems like a design error rather than shoddy assembly.

From a technology standpoint the computer seems solid. It is quite fast with a ssd and cold boots are nearly immediate while a resumption from sleep is instantaneous - the splash screen is there as soon as the lid is opened and a click of the mouse goes right to the boot screen.

reefgeorge
Punch Card
Views: 322
Message 7 of 7

I did fail to mention some fitment issues in the front between the bottom case and the keyboard deck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors