cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pontiac_Dude
Paper Tape
Views: 971
Message 1 of 1

New X260. Product Recovery. "Recovery failed" Trying to installed Windows 10.

Last week, I purchased a new Lenovo X260 (Type 20F6-006AUS). Packaging said it came with Windows 10, but when I fired it up it booted into Windows 7. After searching for the Windows 10 media or files, finally succumbed and contacted Lenovo support. The agent said the Windows 10 files are available by request and come on separate media, so I made the request.  This afternoon, a thumb drive with the Windows 10 Product Recovery arrived.  (Rhetorical: Can it really be Product Recovery if the laptop was represented as having Windows 10 installed, but was not actually installed?)

I followed the instructions.

Now when it boots to the thumb drive, I click past the Acceptance of Terms and conditions, acknowledge it'll wipe out all my personal data and watch the recovery start. About 1 minute in, I get a pop-up with the window banner "Product Recovery" and the message "Recovery failed."

The recovery process must have gotten far enough that it wiped out the boot sector on the SSD, because I can neither boot to the original factory SSD or to the Product Recovery USB they shipped. I've searched around and found no solutions for this specific problem. Some have speculated it may be because they didn't have factory installed HDD, but I've swapped nothing out from how it came shrink-wrapped. Any suggestions?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors