Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 170
Message 1 of 3

New Yoga X1 G3, clean install of windows

Is there a guide on how to do a clean install of Windows on a brand new Yoga X1 3rd gen? I want to make sure to get rid of any bloatware. I plan to download Windows 1809 if it is indeed available for download next Tuesday Oct 2nd and install fresh that way.

How can I obtain my product key so I can activate windows after the clean install? Will I need to power on the machine and extract the key some how before doing the clean install? Or should there be a product key on a label on the computer or something that comes in the box that has it?

Finally, is there a hidden partition or something that makes re-installing easy in the future? If so, how can I update it to the 1809 version that I am hopefully getting next week.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 164
Message 2 of 3

Re: New Yoga X1 G3, clean install of windows

I've done it.  There is no problem with the key.  It is stored in the BIOS and the machine will activate automatically.  If you are asked for a product key during the install, selecct the option to say you don''t have a key now.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 96
Message 3 of 3

Re: New Yoga X1 G3, clean install of windows

Thanks. Everything seems to have worked and I loaded 1809 and all the necessary Lenovo drivers. My big question now that I spent quite a few hours installing windows, drivers, software, etc, and have a nice clean install, is there a way to save an image so I can reset to this state easily should I experience serious issue in the future that requires a fresh install? I know about the System Image backup in the Windows Control panel but is there a way to save it to the HD itself? I think Lenovo keeps a recovery partition somewhere that can be used to do a quick reset of everything? Thanks!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors