07-30-2015

US

109 Signins

787 Page Views

• Views: 787
  • Message 1 of 3

New Yoga X1 G3, clean install of windows

2018-09-28, 15:03 PM

Is there a guide on how to do a clean install of Windows on a brand new Yoga X1 3rd gen? I want to make sure to get rid of any bloatware. I plan to download Windows 1809 if it is indeed available for download next Tuesday Oct 2nd and install fresh that way.

How can I obtain my product key so I can activate windows after the clean install? Will I need to power on the machine and extract the key some how before doing the clean install? Or should there be a product key on a label on the computer or something that comes in the box that has it?

Finally, is there a hidden partition or something that makes re-installing easy in the future? If so, how can I update it to the 1809 version that I am hopefully getting next week.

Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
Options

10714 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39409 Signins

409127 Page Views

• Views: 409127
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: New Yoga X1 G3, clean install of windows

2018-09-28, 15:09 PM

I've done it.  There is no problem with the key.  It is stored in the BIOS and the machine will activate automatically.  If you are asked for a product key during the install, selecct the option to say you don''t have a key now.

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

55 Posts

07-30-2015

US

109 Signins

787 Page Views

• Views: 787
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: New Yoga X1 G3, clean install of windows

2018-10-03, 17:25 PM

Thanks. Everything seems to have worked and I loaded 1809 and all the necessary Lenovo drivers. My big question now that I spent quite a few hours installing windows, drivers, software, etc, and have a nice clean install, is there a way to save an image so I can reset to this state easily should I experience serious issue in the future that requires a fresh install? I know about the System Image backup in the Windows Control panel but is there a way to save it to the HD itself? I think Lenovo keeps a recovery partition somewhere that can be used to do a quick reset of everything? Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save