cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
killclick
Paper Tape
Views: 8,550
Message 1 of 13

No Audio Input Devices - Built-in microphone not detected/not in device manager ????

I have a new x220, it's 3 weeks old. 

No microphones or audio input devices of any kind are being recognized in both the device manager, the sound settings and on skype. Not only is there suppoes to be a built in microphone in the model, but the headphone jack also works as a headset and I have tried plugging in my iphone style headset with microphone with no luck. There simply aren't any drivers or recognition of whatever is driving the input of that microphone feed.

How can I fix this so that it recognizes the onboard microphone options (both loudspeaker and headset)??

Guru
Views: 8,518
Message 2 of 13

Betreff: No Audio Input Devices - Built-in microphone not detected/not in device manager ????

Did you install windows by yourself?

In that case a dozend drivers and tools seem to be missing.

Install System Update  and execute it.

If you prefer manually install, download and install the drivers from Lenovo X220 driver matrix

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
killclick
Paper Tape
Views: 8,505
Message 3 of 13

Betreff: No Audio Input Devices - Built-in microphone not detected/not in device manager ????

No dude this is a brand new customized x220 from lenovo, it's 3 weeks old

there have been a multitude of stupid unexplained annoying problems that I can resolve but that are just time consuming like this one

so anyway, lenovo people, tell me how to fix what you messed up in the first place, bvecause there is no microphone installed on this thing and i promise, the hardware exists!

killclick
Paper Tape
Views: 8,504
Message 4 of 13

to clairfy, it came totally ready to roll with mots software instlaled including, of course, windows 7 64 bit.

Guru
Views: 8,499
Message 5 of 13

I'm not sure, whether the iPhone headset-connector is the same as the adapter you'll need for the X220.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
killclick
Paper Tape
Views: 8,486
Message 6 of 13

I think that is actuall irrelevant, either way the speaker mic isn't even being recognized which is onboard the computer, and the jack that is specifically for a headset (according to the icon) is only recognizing the earphone componenent and not the microphone component. 

need sometihng to fix the fact that the external mic isn't even being recognized as a device in any way/no reference to it on the computer

Guru
Views: 8,479
Message 7 of 13

Is the microphone "enabled" in the BIOS under Security - I/O Port Access?

My ThinkPad-Collection
killclick
Paper Tape
Views: 8,469
Message 8 of 13

Hi -- yes, in bios microphone is enabled under security ->i/o ports

Guru
Views: 8,466
Message 9 of 13

Hi killclick

If you are using Lenovo Preload OS, default BIOS settings and have update all the drivers manually or through System Update and the problem still persist. You may need to contact Technical Support, it could be the sound component (Conexant) faulty on the system board.

Happy 2012! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

biohasm
Paper Tape
Views: 7,039
Message 10 of 13

Re: No Audio Input Devices - Built-in microphone not detected/not in device manager ????

In my Thinkpad I had disabled my built-in camera and microphone. When I re-enabled both at another time, I found my microphone was not recognized. Under the Sound Recording tab it showed "No audio devicves installed." After fruitless searching on many forums for a fix, I finally found it in my BIOS.

In the BIOS s/u when Enable Microphone is selected (Security > I/O Port Assess), on the right  side of screen is a description that describes how to enable the internal microphone. "To enable Microphone, select Enabled and remove AC power then fully shutdown and power on the system." Follwing that direction exactly and my microphone was restored.

Hope this elps some.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors