Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-05-2008

San Francisco, CA

9 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 6

No USB Scanner works on this X60s. Lenovo Support Hung Up After Few Minutes

2008-02-06, 1:46 AM

Was talking to Support lead guy [deleted] for a few minutes explaining I tried 3 different scanners conneting to all USB ports on this new ThinkPad X60s I bought, and none work with windows xp sp2 Device Manager showing the scanner but having a yellow mark next to it indicating a problem with loading its drivers.  Yet 3 different products, a HP, a Canon and a CardScan scanner all 3 reproduced the same bug in this X60s. Support guy said I have to talk to the 'Elite Software Support' and pay $99 for them to fix this problem!! I just couldn't believe it! When I said this is a system problem and reproducible with 3 separate scanners, he said he can't help me and hung up!  :smileysurprised:

I was in shock for a few minutes. Had no, absolutely no way of seeing that coming from IBM/Lenovo!! For years I've recommended ThinkPads for their quality and terrific service and support. I just was shocked decided to rip off their customers like this and charge hundred bucks to fix a system problem on their laptop that has active and current 3 year warranty!!

What do I do? Who do I complain to? How can Lenovo get away with this. I also have an old ThinkPad T40 Windows XP SP1 that has never had any issue with same HP Multifunction scanner. And I upgrade to this new X60s to run into this crap? I just need to take a cold shower my friends to calm down from the shock of what happened today with the IBM 'legendary' service and support! :smileymad: I just feel so upset about this and will not be maniplated and defrauded to pay Lenovo to support and fix system problem of a top end X60s notebook under warranty.

Please help!!

Ron
925-217-xxxx

tel# edited out..
ron, i'm not sure you want this to show to the world and i don't believe forum rules allow it..

Moderator Edit:  Please read and adhere to the posting rules!

Message Edited by rhariri on 02-05-2008 05:55 PM

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-06-2008 03:12 AM

Message Edited by billbolton on 02-06-2008 11:24 PM
Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: No USB Scanner works on this X60s. Lenovo Support Hung Up After Few Minutes

2008-02-06, 8:10 AM
Ron..

try calling again and this time ask for the next level of support..

i can't say if this is a hardware or software issue and i have no time now to try setting up a scanner on MY x60s..

a question: do you have the ultrabase for the X60..?
and if so did you try the scanner on those USB ports..?

another question pops into mind: have you tried connecting another device, like a memory key, or a USB hard drive..?
so as to prove the USB is not defective..?

either way this sure strikes me as a warranty issue and you should be due an apology..
(breath holding is not a good idea here :) but you never know)

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-06-2008 03:16 AM
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

4 Posts

02-05-2008

San Francisco, CA

9 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2008-02-06, 17:54 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response. Yes I tried all the USB ports including the ports in the docking station.  I suspect the issue is some incompatibility between windows' USBScan.dll library interface and the BIOS on the x60s.  Since you have an X60s and if you had a chance to test a scanner with it, I'd love to know what happens.

As far as calling back to and asking for next level support, that guy who hung up was the next level support!! That's what made it even more unbelievable what he did.   I'm thinking of getting rid of this dog on ebay and switching to another brand. Seeing this new policy by Lenovo to cannibalize their customers and charge for their support when product is under warranty,  perhaps this is the beginning of the end of the ThinkPad dynasty.

Ron

Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2008-02-09, 6:25 AM
i would be happy to test it BUT i can't test it until i dig up a USB scanner..

lets see if this microtek scanner will work..

more later..

later..
well, the microtek scanner seems to be kaput..
the X60s does not see anything and neither does the big desktop box..

unless i can find mymolder h/p scanner there is no test i can do for you..
i'll try to find it but saturday is mostly out..

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-09-2008 01:54 AM

~%#^$&***!-095!
the dumb scanner started to work..

i had it plugged into my X60T and THAT did not see it so i was doing something else and VIOLA! it suddenly saw the scanner..
so i yanked the USB cable out and into the X60s it went (where there is scanner software) and it worked just fine..

you DID say the USB ports work with other devices..?
if so then it looks like you have some sort of software problem..
which is not a warranty claim matter...

do you have a spare HDD you can try a clean factory image on and the scanner on that OS..?

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-09-2008 02:19 AM

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-09-2008 02:37 AM
----
Mark Twain
Options

4 Posts

02-05-2008

San Francisco, CA

9 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2008-02-09, 18:33 PM
Bill,
Thanks so much for testing.

When I plug in the scanners, same symptomb in all 3 cases. 3 cases were first an HP MultiFunction 7130 that has scanner driver ofcourse, then I tried a Canon multifunction which has a scanner, and 3rd case a sand alone scanner called CardScan 60.

In all 3 cases, the drivers from the cd that came with scanner was installed first before physically plugging in the scanner to USB Port.

Then when the scanner is plugged in, windows does see it right away and the little text bubble pops up on the right bottom corner on tast  bar that names the product exactly and says it was detected.

Then you try to use the scanner and all the applications to use scanner say no scanner is plugged in.

Then you go to Device Manager and see that the plugged in Scanner is in the Imagine Devices list of devices, but the infamous Yellow circle mark is next to it indicating a problem. In all 3 scanner cases, when you do the properties on that scanner in the devie manager and properties window pops up and in Device status text box it says: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Believing this status,  have spent totals of hours on the tech support of each of those 3 scanners, all concluding there their scanner drivers are property installed, and no historical issue those scanner have with Win XP SP2. They all concluded the issue is lower lever than the product driver.

In process of trouble shooting I have installed and reinstalled repeatedly the usbscan.sys file which is a windows internal library for usb scanner.

So I guess in summary, I want to say when I plug in the scanner, windows does 'see' the scanner and it shows up in the device manager, but the scanner is not usable since windows has trouble with it. This X60s was shipped to me with Win XP SP2.

If you can think of something, or go back and see if your scanner is actually loaded property in device manager and is usable by a scanner application, that's perhaps something to check.

Cheers,
Ron
Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2008-02-09, 18:58 PM
ron..

well, the scanner is playing coy again BUT looking at the device manager i see this: Imaging devices / Microtek ScanMaker 6700 (USB) #2..
see edit below..

i truly believe that you have a software issue..

did you say this is a fresh preload or have you loadedmother stuff before the scanner incident..?

and

FWIW, h/p for all that i like the company WAS infamous for having crappy scanner drivers..
which would mess with your system..
might this be the problem..? or part of it..

whenever i have similar problems i either give up or try it on a pristine factory preload..

finaly, this X60s is well used in the OS department..
having been the experimental box for all sorts of risky software and web sites..

EDIT:
the scanner IS working..
stupid me i forgot to load the scan applet..
which in this case is VueScan 8.4.50..
in fact i'm doing a 2400 dpi scan of a very old photo of myself and a friend from my days on my sail boat..

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-09-2008 02:30 PM
----
Mark Twain
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms