cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xantonin
Paper Tape
Views: 868
Message 1 of 8

No boot resume from Hibernate on OneLink+ with X1 Carbon (4th Gen)

This issue has been random but occurs most of the time. The scenario is simple: laptop is closed, enters sleep mode, then eventually hibernates.

Then I connect it to the docking station (or it's already connected) and when I open the lid it automatically starts booting up, and just sits at the Lenovo logo.

I have to hold the power down, which loses all my unsaved data that was supposed to be preserved when hibernated.

I've tried removing things from the docking station but can't find a patten. I have connected:

DisplayPort monitor (to DVI)

USB Logitech M500 mouse

Ethernet

Very frustrating. Any ideas?

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 832
Message 2 of 8

Re: No boot resume from Hibernate on OneLink+ with X1 Carbon (4th Gen)

to make sure have you tried to wake laptop up without having dock connected to the laptop? if laptop itself wakes up from hibernate without any issues then dock might be reason to why it hangs on boot logo.

xantonin
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 3 of 8

It doesn't seem to have the issue when the docking station is not connected. Everything else on the docking station works fine.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 816
Message 4 of 8

Okay then problem is about docking since laptop is fine without it so have you tried flashing latest firmware to the dock station?

xantonin
Paper Tape
Views: 799
Message 5 of 8

Yes, it has the latest firmware.

I believe I solved this issue. I went into the BIOS/SETUP and disabled everything in the boot order except for "Windows Boot Manager". I wasn't sure wether to leave that or the NVMe option - but I figured I'd start there. So far it has not happened yet.

I figured this may be the issue as I remember back in the day some PCs would not boot properly if a user left a USB flash drive plugged in. I'm not sure why the docking station is causing the issue though, but I'll test it more.

xantonin
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 6 of 8

Well that didn't work. Still locked at the Lenovo screen after I connected it. Doesn't always do it. I hate intermittent problems. 

I tried the NVMe boot option but that won't load the OS, so that's not it.

I tried turning off PCI LAN boot next... I think Lenovo is trying to send me a new docking station but it's backordered. 

xantonin
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 7 of 8

I received the new One Dock+ and set it up. The problem still occurs. Seems more often now. In fact at one point I couldn't get Windows to load at all, it would sometimes just sit at "Preparing startup repair" or similar.

I believe this is a BIOS issue.

I went into the BIOS and turned off OS Optimized defaults, and also turned off Secure boot. I then enabled CSM. It worked immediately. I'll test it more for a few days to see if I can get the problem to happen again.

rmgeren
What's DOS?
Views: 556
Message 8 of 8

My X1 Yoga was not booting from sleep, hibernate, or power off  when connected to the dock either.  I've been on the forums looking for a solution, and recently sat down to make it all work.  I'm happy to report that my X1 boots/hibernates/sleeps AND wakes when connected to the dock.  Here's what I did:

1. Updated BIOS and drivers using Lenovo Companion.  This includes a 2/15/17 BIOS update (v 1.23 IIRC)

2. Rearranged my USB devices.  See table below for my configuration.

DeviceInitial PortFinal Port

Monitor
(DP to DVI Cable)
"Left" Display Port
(looking from the back)
No Change
Keyboard
Logitech Orion G610
Keboard (USB 2)  No Change
Mouse
Logitech Performance MX
USB 2USB 3