Arizona, USA

5 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 4

No diagnostics available in Rescue and Recovery partition

2009-01-09, 8:04 AM

Hello,

So I just received my X300 in the mail I am trying to determine wether it has a fault or if the software on the Rescue and Recovery partition for this model is different than most. I have run all available updates through the ThinkVantage System Update application and version 4.2 of Rescue and Recovery is what is installed. When I boot R&R from the ThinkVantage button at startup the workspace loads normally. However, when I get passed the simple interface there is nothing listed under the "Diagnostic" section. There is a link for "Diagnostic Overview" which opens a window providing information that seems to indicate I should be able to load the PC-Doctor for DOS program from the R&R menu but this option does not seem to exist. My ThinkPad is configured without an optical drive so I cannot boot the stand-alone PC-Doctor for DOS image that is available for download. Mostly I'm just trying to understand how I would troubleshoot the hardware on this computer in the event that the primary OS will not boot, I am not currently experiencing an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help / clarification. 

Options

145 Posts

12-14-2008

United States

324 Signins

2878 Page Views

• Views: 2878
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: No diagnostics available in Rescue and Recovery partition

2009-01-09, 19:43 PM
Find PC-Doctor for Windows, which probably is included in your start menu. You can do "check system health" from there.
Options

2 Posts

01-09-2009

Arizona, USA

5 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-01-09, 20:33 PM

True... However, this would be of no use to me in the event that I could not boot Windows. The X300 Service and Troubleshooting Guide states that diagnosing problems using PC-Doctor from the service partition may not be available on SSD models. So, I'll amend my question:

Has anybody successfully used the PC-Doctor for DOS image on a flash drive? If so, how do I go about creating a bootable diagnostic partition on a drive and how large a drive should I get?

Sorry if this question seems a bit novice, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 1% of the time when an optical drive really seems necessary.

Options

5 Posts

11-06-2008

Townsville, QLD, Australia

13 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 4 of 4

2010-07-06, 11:35 AM

I got the same problem.

I want to run hardware diagnostic before boot the windows to test the hardware.

But there is no hardware diagnostic.

I have tried to download the diagnostic boot USB/CD software, but it can only test the memory and harddrive.

I want to test my CPU, but it show some thing weird in blue screen.

Any one can help??

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save