12-16-2018

NL

6 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: Not able to install latest NVIDIA drivers on X1 Extreme

2019-01-15, 6:47 AM

I have tried updating the driver using GeForce Experience but all it did was download the same driver I downloaded manually and run it. If I understood correctly the installer will go online and find that only a certified driver can be used to update the installed driver. 

I recently reinstalled the laptop because I kept having issues, but this time I did not uninstall the graphics drivers. I just downloaded the latest driver from NVidia and installed it without an internet connection, and that worked. The issues remained but it may be hardware related, I don't know.

Options

26 Posts

11-27-2016

US

51 Signins

540 Page Views

• Views: 540
  • Message 12 of 14

2019-01-15, 6:54 AM

Thats so weird, but maybe its like that with however the system came stock?

I just know that if you fresh install, run windows updates (it updates the nvidia driver along with a few other drivers) then install and run the updater on Lenovo Vantage (updates the nvidia driver along with other drivers) You will be left with a 380ish series nvidia driver installed with geforce experience, and that driver can be updated through it to the most current version (417 I think?) and it will be the DCH version.

I cant think of any reason of why it wouldnt of worked for you, supposedly if you manually downloaded the DCH version of the driver from Nvidia, it would of installed over the old version no problem, its the trying to update from DCH to Standard or Standard to DCH that doesnt work. Its almost as if the version installed was trying to get the standard version?

I dont know, there was so much wrong with the stock image that I reformated and fresh installed within 5 min of powering it on.

Options

6 Posts

12-16-2018

NL

6 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 13 of 14

2019-01-15, 7:23 AM

I haven't tried using Lenovo Vantage (it was unclear to me what is was for :S ) but I will try that next time.

Options

26 Posts

11-27-2016

US

51 Signins

540 Page Views

• Views: 540
  • Message 14 of 14

2019-01-15, 7:28 AM

Its just their driver updater, can be installed right from the Windows Store. Its actually pretty solid and free of bloat, handles all the propriatary lenovo hardware driver installs/updates really well. Only issue I noticed is that if you have it set to discrete graphics in the bios, it will update the graphics driver, but will continue to show that it is available in the update list. Their driver installer is a nvidia and intel combo that run back to back, and the intel part will simply skip if it doesnt detect the hardware. They need to change their detection method, but you can simply hide the update after it installs once.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete