Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SunnySG
Paper Tape
Views: 4,359
Message 11 of 35

Re: PSA: Better battery life for X1 Extreme / P1

@coldbolt wrote:
battery life is getting better now after some usage. i get 7-12hrs depending on applications used.

Can i know if this is fhd or 4k version?

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 4,279
Message 12 of 35

@Eason85 wrote:

You will probably have noticed that even with the FHD display, you are only getting 6-7 hours of battery life on the X1E or P1. There is a bug involving the nvidia GPU that seems to be causing drain:

Go to device manager, select dedicated nvidia GPU -> disable it 
then -> reenable

your idle power draw will now be so much less. Lenovo Engineer's PLEASE FIX THIS.

Thanks a lot for the tip! So if, after doing this disable-reenable workaround, we leave Windows in Hibernate mode (instead of shutting down), then the improved battery life will remain? Or does even leaving it in Hibernate mode count as a 'reboot'?

Alternatively, if we leave the nVidia GPU disabled for the time being (till Lenovo has a fix), battery life will be improved?

My X1 Extreme laptop is wating to be picked up (I am out of town), so I cannot test it yet...

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 4,136
Message 13 of 35

Just received my X1 Extreme last night. Love the laptop except for battery life:

Even after applying the workaround in the OP of this thread, with Battery Saver 'On' and also manually setting brightness to a low 50%, I am getting a battery life estimate only in the 4 and change hours range after unplugging the power cord when at 100%.

Smiley Sad

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 4,074
Message 14 of 35

@njweb wrote:

Just received my X1 Extreme last night. Love the laptop except for battery life:

Even after applying the workaround in the OP of this thread, with Battery Saver 'On' and also manually setting brightness to a low 50%, I am getting a battery life estimate only in the 4 and change hours range after unplugging the power cord when at 100%.

Smiley Sad

Can't edit my above quoted post anymore (time limit exceeded), so here is an update:

Good news: Today while 'battery life remaining' started at only 4 hr 53 min, it jumped to 7 hr 07 min after just several minutes and a few minutes later it jumped to 8 hr 45 min where it has now, for the most part, stabilized!

Edit it just increased to 9 hr 03 min, now it went to 9 hr 40 min!

Note - This is with battery saver On and brightness reduced to 50%, which is not at all as dark as I thought it would be.

I am using the disable then immediately re-enable nVidia graphics adapter workaround posted here...

javapro
Punch Card
Views: 4,037
Message 15 of 35

@SunnySG wrote:

26h + battery life remaining??? Did i read that wrongly? I really wish this is true... hmmmm

@coldbolt wrote:

Seems like it's getting better now as the longer I use. 

Lenovo Vantage's battery indicator is misleading. It seems to show a lot more hours of battery life remaining right after the computer wakes up from sleep so it's basically showing sleep time battery life. That's what probably happened here. I had it showing 5 hours with about 20% battery charge left but after a minute or so it changed to a more reasonable 50 minutes. I suggest using the Windows 10 battery indicator - while Lenovo's one is showing ridiculous number of hours after the computer wakes up from sleep, the Winsows one is only showing charge percentage and will actually show you a more reasonable hours left estimate after a minute or so. Also, Lenovo's battery indicator sometimes jumps up and down in one hour increments after the system load increases and/or decreases. I think the Windows 10 battery indicator shows more gradual increases/decreases.

javapro
Punch Card
Views: 3,930
Message 16 of 35

So, after disabling and reenabling the Nvidia card, my X1 Extreme starts showing around 4.5 hours of battery remaining. I have a 4K screen at 100% brightness with i7-8850H CPU running under "Better Performance" power mode. The battery remaining indicator jumps around depending on the usage but I timed it several times and getting around 4 hours of use. Is this normal?

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 3,920
Message 17 of 35

@javapro wrote:

So, after disabling and reenabling the Nvidia card, my X1 Extreme starts showing around 4.5 hours of battery remaining. I have a 4K screen at 100% brightness with i7-8850H CPU running under "Better Performance" power mode. The battery remaining indicator jumps around depending on the usage but I timed it several times and getting around 4 hours of use. Is this normal?

Probably about right.

So far (have not checked it much since I mostly have mine plugged in), I got up to just under 10 hours 13 hr 24 mins as an estimate today (edited 12/29) with battery at 91% on my FHD display X1E with Battery Saver on and brightness at 50%. 

Per a Reddit thread recommendation, just yesterday I went into Intel Display settings and set those to 'max battery' as well. Seems like it may have helped further (from 10 hrs to over 13 1/2 hours). 

I doubt much of the time, once I watch videos e.g., that I will get the estimated 11.5 to 13.5 hours in actual use,  but I am happy with battery life projections.

I have to experiment more, but battery life concerns are why I would not consider an X1E with a 4K screen. TBH I am perfectly happy with my FHD version's screen anyway. Smiley Happy

Edited message 12/29 after getting a whopping 13 hr 24 min battery life estimate (on Win 10 taskbar) with it down to 91%!!!

Edit - it dropped to 11 hr  37 min a few mins later.

Hope Lenovo can fix the bug mentioned in the OP. No comments from Lenovo so far on this issue.

In the meantime I am using the workaround...

sqet
Paper Tape
Views: 3,603
Message 18 of 35

Looks like it's still not resolved.

After starting system icon of nVidia shows that something is running on nVidia card.

After disabling there is nothing working on card.

Extremelly annoying.

Dev_SP
Paper Tape
Views: 3,589
Message 19 of 35

4 hours are quite short. Can I check if this is for FHD for 4K model?

javapro
Punch Card
Views: 3,587
Message 20 of 35

4K.  All the system details are in my post. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors