cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenanto
SCSI Port
Message 1 of 5

Possible to access BIOS with only Supervisor Password?

In the Thinkpad BIOS, is there any way to access the pre-boot environment with only the supervisor password if a HDD password is also set?

I note that at least on my machine (X1 Carbon 5th Gen), with both a supervisor password and a hard disk1 user password set (I have set different passwords for each), I am always prompted first for the HDD password to enter any pre-boot environment, including:

• BIOS (pressing F1 at Lenovo screen)
  • the boot order menu (pressing F12 at Lenovo screen)
  • the boot options menu (pressing enter at Lenovo screen)

However, for any of these functions, I am not accessing the disk drive and not booting into the drive, but rather trying to access only the pre-boot environment in the BIOS. So why does the system ask for the HDD password?

I can see a scenario where perhaps one needs to boot via USB for troubleshooting, or the HDD password is forgotten or some other issue where only the BIOS needs to be entered and not the disk drive.  Is there perhaps a certain key press at the HDD password prompt to switch to a "BIOS only" mode? (I tried the various function keys at the disk drive password prompt, but it didn't do anything)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Message 2 of 5

Re: Possible to access BIOS with only Supervisor Password?

If the HDD PW is forgotton the only way to get in is to pull out the drive

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenanto
SCSI Port
Message 3 of 5

Just to clarify, so if one were to physically remove the drive, then you would be able to enter the BIOS with only the supervisor password? Or would all password security reset removing the drive?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Message 4 of 5

It wouldn't remove the HDD pw

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenanto
SCSI Port
Message 5 of 5

I mean, if you remove the disk drive, then try to access the BIOS, then it would still prompt you for the Supervisor Password, right? (or at least to make changes)
Top Kudoed Authors