Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LukeD
Token Ring
Views: 5,962
Message 1 of 11

Praises for the X300?

I have ordered a new X300, which I will pick up in a day thanks to CDW.

I would love to hear what other X300 owners think of this new ThinkPad, and any praises, suggestions, or cautions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. I have read conflicting reviews. What exactly is the material of the exterior of the X300? Is it plastic like the T61 or magnesium like the T60 and X61?

Message Edited by LukeD on 03-04-2008 09:31 PM
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,942
Message 2 of 11

Re: Praises for the X300?

make a set of recovery CD's right away..
its good insurance..

although there is little reason to remove the CD drive it is easy..
one screw and push on the little tab to slide it out a few MM and then pull it the rest of the way out..

the only caveat i personally have is it has a non-flexview display..
for a thinkpad like this there should be an option for an IPS display, for sure..

its magnesium AFAIK..
and it is very nicely finished..

Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,938
Message 3 of 11

Re: Praises for the X300?

Well, I'am no X300 owner so far, but I like it's thin 13.3" form factor, the low traveling weight, that it has a full size keyboard and a hopefully luminant LED TFT display. Further I like, even it is small and thin, that you have still most of the needed connection ports, can exchange batteries and replace the ODD for a second battery on demand. - From an overall looks and design point of view the X300 looks to me optical very nice and pleasing.

BTW, the case material of the X300 is according to the Tabook:
  • Display cover: Carbon-fi ber reinforced plastic (top), glass-fi ber reinforced plastic (side walls)
  • Base: Magnesium alloy

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,920
Message 4 of 11

Cannot Create RCDs on X300

@billmorrow wrote:
make a set of recovery CD's right away..
its good insurance..

Actually... Don't even try.  It's not possible.

The X300 does not ship with the ability to restore to factory contents from the drive.  This was done to save space on the 64gb SSD.  Therefore, the drive does not have a service partition, a stored copy of the recovery image or the ability to create recovery CDs.  There is still a predesktop environment in the form of Windows PE, just like other systems, but it is in a virtual partition mounted dynamically when an F11 or ThinkVantage button request is made at POST.  The "Restore to Factory Contents" option in that environment, on the X300, does not work (we're looking in to getting that menu option yanked).

However, to ease your pain, all X300 systems with SSD ship with a set of recovery CDs in the box.  So, fortunately, it would not be necessary to create recovery CDs even if you could.

Message Edited by bloo on 03-05-2008 10:29 AM
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
LukeD
Token Ring
Views: 5,908
Message 5 of 11

Re: Cannot Create RCDs on X300

I thank you all very much!
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Thecla
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,903
Message 6 of 11

The X300 does not ship with the ability to restore to factory contents from the drive.  This was done to save space on the 64gb SSD.

That sounds great, actually. Roughly what is the available free space on the 64gb SSD with XP and with business Vista? 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,886
Message 7 of 11

@bloo wrote:

Actually... Don't even try.  It's not possible.

The X300 does not ship with the ability to restore to factory contents from the drive...
However, to ease your pain, all X300 systems with SSD ship with a set of recovery CDs in the box.  So, fortunately, it would not be necessary to create recovery CDs even if you could.

If the SSD based X300, already comes with a set of recovery CDs in the box, there should be no problem to restore the initial installation from the optical drive then. - Another possibility would be, to use a third party imaging software like Acronis TrueImage and then to perform an initial SSD backup image on an external USB connected drive, in order to have a sort of recovery image.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,780
Message 8 of 11

@bloo wrote:

The X300 does not ship with the ability to restore to factory contents from the drive.  This was done to save space on the 64gb SSD.  Therefore, the drive does not have a service partition, a stored copy of the recovery image or the ability to create recovery CDs.  There is still a predesktop environment in the form of Windows PE, just like other systems, but it is in a virtual partition mounted dynamically when an F11 or ThinkVantage button request is made at POST.  The "Restore to Factory Contents" option in that environment, on the X300, does not work (we're looking in to getting that menu option yanked).

Turns out I need to qualify this.  The above is a Vista preload statement only.  The XP preload does have a service partition and the ability to restore to factory contents from the drive.  It is possible (and, as billmorrow hinted, highly recommended) to make a set of recovery CDs, as a set is not shipped with Windows XP preload systems.

--
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 5,746
Message 9 of 11

<slowly removing my foot from my mouth>
8 useless CD's and a couple of useless DVD-CD's later its nice to know this..!  Smiley Mad
otherwise i would not have made a set of "something" that won't recover the SSD..

and there were no recovery CD's in the box for obvious reasons.. Smiley Indifferent

i think you better remove this menu item ASAP and make it clear this is the case because of limited SSD space..

meanwhile it runs with a generic version of vista and a few drivers..

Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,724
Message 10 of 11

@billmorrow wrote:
8 useless CD's and a couple of useless DVD-CD's later its nice to know this..!  Smiley Mad
otherwise i would not have made a set of "something" that won't recover the SSD..

and there were no recovery CD's in the box for obvious reasons.. Smiley Indifferent

i think you better remove this menu item ASAP and make it clear this is the case because of limited SSD space..

meanwhile it runs with a generic version of vista and a few drivers..

Let's clear some things up here.  First, if your Vista X300 allowed you to create recovery CDs, you have a pre-GA system with a very early version of the preload.  Therefore, your experiences are not going to be the norm.  In the GA version, the Vista preload does not have the option to create rec CDs, so if that's the menu option you're referring to, it is gone.  The menu option I refer to in previous posts is "Restore to Factory Contents" in the WinPE predesktop area (i.e. disk-to-disk recovery).  Recovery CDs still work like a champ.

Your system would not have come with recovery CDs because it came with disk to disk recovery, a-la the early, pre-GA preload (not to mention that recovery CDs wouldn't have existed at that time).  I received four additional X300 ThinkPads yesterday; one Vista preload, three XP preload, and I can assure you that while there were no recovery CDs with the XP systems (because they have disk-to-disk capability in the service partition), the Vista system did ship with a set of recovery CDs.

Hope that helps.
--

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors