Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awaggoner
Paper Tape
Views: 63,304
Message 1 of 10

Pre-installed Bloatware Removal

Does anyone have a list of the software that comes with a new X1 Carbon that can be safely removed?

I am shocked by the amount of pre-installed crap on this new machine.  Usually, I would get Dell notebooks and they came with a few pieces of extra software, but this is crazy. 

If I have to spend a half day or more cleaning off all the extra crap, I may have to stick with Dell in the future.

SeniorGuru
Views: 63,177
Message 2 of 10

Re: Pre-installed Bloatware Removal

@awaggoner wrote:

the amount of pre-installed crap

Most, if not all, of that "crap" serves a purpose, especially the ThinkVantage "crap." Yes, some duplicates what comes with Windows, but it also generally adds useful features that exploit unique ThinkPad hardware enhancements. Before deleting any of the "crap" that came with your X1C I'd carefully review what it does and why it might be of benefit.

I'll grant you that some of the third party crap [e.g. Norton] truly is crap and deserves to be blown away as soon as possible. However even in those situations make sure you have functionally-equivalent "crap" [e.g. MSE] to replace it with.

WWAN
Views: 63,163
Message 3 of 10

There are a few programs like PCdecrapifier that identify and remove bloatware. Be careful though because some of the programs are, like hausman said, value added so choose carefully what you want removed.

I've actually found that Thinkpads come with far less bloatware than Home or Home/Small Office Dell systems. The only Dell systems that come with very little bloatware are the Lattitudes and other systems sold through their large office store.

awaggoner
Paper Tape
Views: 63,159
Message 4 of 10

A trial version of Nitro Pro 7, Sugar Sync, Chrome (I didn't download it, so I don't want it), Google Toolbar

Plus all that Lenovo branded stuff.  It may have a purpose, but the consumer should have a choice on if they want it on the new computer they paid for. 

I tried to uninstall SimpleTap and it went through the uninstallation process, but never removed it. 

Also, the Lenovo Message Board has all sorts of nonsense for Netflix, BillBoard, TV.com, Groupon, LiveNation, MTV, BizTree, Price Grabber, etc.   Insane.

ceb
WWAN
Views: 63,156
Message 5 of 10

Such is the state of consumer PCs. Those removal programs will get rid of most of that in no time flat.

awaggoner
Paper Tape
Views: 63,153
Message 6 of 10

I thought the IdeaPad is the consumer oriented notebook and ThinkPad is targeted toward business.  Is that no longer the case?

SonicDethmonkey
Punch Card
Views: 63,149
Message 7 of 10

I'd also like to remove the SimpleTap software. That is absolutely the most absurd and unnecessary thing i've ever seen on a business-oriented machine (??) that doesn't even have a touch screen.

awaggoner
Paper Tape
Views: 63,139
Message 8 of 10

I got rid of SimpleTap.  I had to delete all of the tiles before uninstalling.

Peterphee
What's DOS?
Views: 31,712
Message 9 of 10

I'd love to remove that pad tap function. it's most annoying

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 31,706
Message 10 of 10

You can remove it in one by one from Control Panel, Programs. It is wise to not connect the machine to Internet prior all Google spyware is safely removed because the infection runs under SYSTEM account.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors