cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romatlo32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 926
Message 1 of 5

Press Enter at Lenovo screen during boot up not available?

I am a new Lenovo X1 Carbon user.  I have a new one here with Windows 10 preinstalled.  I've booted it up a few times and was able to press enter to get into the boot menu and press F11 to enter recovery for example.

However, for some reason, now I do not have the option after I shutdown or restart.  The same Lenovo screen appears, but does not give me the Press Enter option and just boot right into the Windows 10 OS. 

What happened?  Any suggestions?

I want to do a recovery but unable to get into the menu now.

Thanks,

romatlo32

romatlo32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 872
Message 2 of 5

Re: Press Enter at Lenovo screen during boot up not available?

I was able to finally access after a restart.  But do not understand why it is there some times, but some times not?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 864
Message 3 of 5

I'd expect it to be available on restart but not on normal startup.

Windows 8 and later use something more like hibernation than old-style shutdown.  It's generally not safe to make BIOS mods or boot an alternate device in that state.

Restart is like an old-style shutdown/startup so it should accept F11/12/ENTER, etc.  You can force a full shutdown by holding the SHIFT key when selecting shutdown.  On the subsequent startup you should be able to use those boot option/interrupt keys.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 862
Message 4 of 5

It isn't the computer; It is the way windows works now.  It is setup to start windows faster, except if the startup fails, windows crashes or you force a "full shutdown".  You are expected to get to the BIOS, get a boot menu, etc. through windows, via settings/recovery.  You can force a full shutdown (and get the "hit the enter key" prompt) by holding down the shift key while you shutdown.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
romatlo32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 845
Message 5 of 5

Thank you!!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors