03-11-2009

New York NY

8 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 5

Problem With SD Memory

2009-03-11, 21:03 PM

i have a client that has a lenovo thinkpad model X61s type 7668 CTO. he also has a 4 GB microSD memory chip that has an SD adapter that he uses to transfer data between his desktop and laptop. the laptop has recently developed a problem where it doesnt recognize when the SD memory is inserted to the slot in the machine. even worse, the chip is not recognized when it is put in an external card reader either. the same chip and card reader work fine on his desktop. disk management does not see the chip when it is inserted either. my first guess might be that the sd slot on the laptop is bad but that doesnt explain why it isnt seen when put into the card reader.

Options

4780 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39297 Signins

739734 Page Views

• Views: 739734
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem With SD Memory

2009-03-11, 22:15 PM
Are you all up to date with Windows service packs and updates? There have been various Microsoft patches for SD problems.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

3 Posts

03-11-2009

New York NY

8 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2009-03-12, 2:34 AM
will check with client and report back.  thank you for the prompt reply
Options

3 Posts

03-11-2009

New York NY

8 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2009-03-30, 11:46 AM

upgraded to the ricoh r5c8xx drivers and now the external reader works fine.  however, when the chip is inserted into the built in card reader it shows up under my computer but is nothing short of flaky.  when the chip is inserted it shows up under my computer but will do one of three things 1- asks "insert disk into drive" 2- disc needs to be formatted (and fails formatting attempt) and once in a blue moon it will actually read it.

i am thinking that there is something wrong with the chip reader.  is it part of the motherboard or is it something that can be replaced by itself.  any ideas on what is happening with the internal reader.  otherwise we may just rely on the external reader and forget about the internal reader

Options

1 Posts

04-01-2009

Singapore

2 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 5 of 5

2009-04-01, 8:58 AM

I had the X61 type 7673 for one year already and the internal SD Slot had not been working since day 1. Mine is running on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. After calling in to the help desk and even refreshing the bios.... etc... it still does not work.... asked me to bring in the service centre and leave it there for a couple of days.... The fact is, I could not leave it there for a couple of days.... it's work computer and the SD Card slot working was not mission critical at that time...

With more and more need to transfer data using the SD Card, it is becoming a pain to bring external readers out.....

Like you, I do not think that it is hardware problem.... So, if anybody does find a way to resolve it, please share the "secret" to making it work.... It is leaving a bad taste after spending so much on the laptop and something had not worked since day 1....

And I am surprised that the problem still has not been resolved yet... Thought I was the only one....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save