Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lunatique
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,697
Message 1 of 6

Problem calibration X1 Yoga OLED's display with X-Rite i1Display Pro

I just bought a Lenovo X1 Yoga with OLED display. It is supposed to have very accurate colors (98% AdobeRGB, Delta-E at 0.55 or better with calibration), but when I tried calibrating it with my X-Rite i1Display Pro, I kept getting strange banding artifacts in the results (and yes, I did choose OLED display type before starting measurement in i1Profiler).

Due to the strange banding artifacts, I had to go back to using the color profiles provided by Lenovo (they come in Native, Standard, Pro Photo, Movie Pro, Blue Light Cut for Office, Blue Light Cut for Reading). I use Pro Photo, which is AdobeRGB. 

I've tried several times now, and I always get the weird banding artifacts. So does this mean X1 Yoga's OLED display cannot be calibrated with i1Display Pro? 

When I compare X1 Yoga's colors with my Dell Ultrasharp U3011 (which is calibrated with i1Display Pro, and has 117% AdobeRGB color gamut, and 1.12 Delta-E after calibration), my U3011 is a bit cooler (a bit more blue, less yellow), while the X1 Yoga is warmer (less blue, more yellow). 

So which is the more accurate one I can trust? Can the X1 Yoga OLED screen be calibrated without the banding artifacts? Has anyone tried calibrating the OLED display?
Former Employee
Views: 3,574
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problem calibration X1 Yoga OLED's display with X-Rite i1Display Pro

Think Engineering strongly recommends customers use Lenovo color settings because they have well-calibrated color spaces.

During Development, Think Engineering experienced similar issues to what you described, believed to stem from 1D LUT (Look Up Tables). As a result, Lenovo applied 3D LUT to develop the X1 Yoga profile.

Thank you,

Lunatique
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,554
Message 3 of 6

Thank you. I've forwarded your reply to X-Rite, and if I have further questions I'll update here.

Manifestphoto
SCSI Port
Views: 2,829
Message 4 of 6

I'm actually not clear on how to calibrate the laptop screen anyway, since it does not have the color controls of a dedicated monitor.  When I calibrate my large monitor, I set the puck on a designated area on the screen, and then adjust the color, brightness, contrast, etc. until the software tells me I'm producing accurate colors.  How can one do that on a laptop that lacks dedicated controls to adjust color output?

Thanks.

Lunatique
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,826
Message 5 of 6

You have to just set the calibration software to do automatic adjustments, or choose the options that only adjusts what can be physically adjusted (in this case, brightness only).

avenidadelgato
What's DOS?
Views: 2,291
Message 6 of 6

Is it possible to import my own 3D LUT (produced after profiling with DisplayCAL) into the Lenovo color management software?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors