Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doweesh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,664
Message 1 of 12

Problem installing Sierra EM7455 WWAN card on X270

I bought two brand new X270's WWAN upgradable and bought EM7455 cards separately. I installed the cards as directed. When I booted the laptop the first time after installation, a warning message saying something to the effect of "unknown network hardware EM7455." Windows didn't detect the newly installed card. So I did a CMOS reset (removed the extra battery, disabled the built-in battery on the BIOS and pressed the CMOS reset button to the left of the battery bay).

After the CMOS reset, Windows recoginized a new hardware by the name of "Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm" but couldn't install the driver (see the attached screenshot).

I did install Lenovo's EM7455 driver (total file size 191MB) and didn't work. I turned to Sierra and found a generic USB Build 4581 driver and it didn't work. When I restarted Windows, the newly found hardware was gone. I did a CMOS reset again and it came back up on the device manager list. 

So I turned to Windows update. It found a driver update by the name of Sierra Incorporated - Ports dated 10/20/2016. It tried to install it but it failed. However, the device's name was changed to Qualcomm COM Port (3) and it was still not installed properly. I went to the device's properties and changed the port to 8. It recognized the full name of the card but GPRS connecitons on Windows didn't show up. I restarted Windows, and the device was gone again!

I checked the BIOS permissions and I tried different scenarios (disabled WWAN, enabled it, restarted, ..etc). Nothing worked.

At this point I'm out of ideas. I'm guessing it has to do with the card's configuration (firmware, chip, ...etc) and compatibility with Lenovo but I can't seem to be able to put my hand on the problem. I'm frustrated and I can't come up with any new ideas. And COM ports are not my playground. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,624
Message 2 of 12

Re: Problem installing Sierra EM7455 WWAN card on X270

Hello and welcome

Could you provide the wwan card service p/n (FRU)? It's printed on the modem's label

Compatible wwan card (em7455) doesn't need manufacturer's (Sierra's) drivers as win8.1/10 has native drivers for MBIM network mode. Modem in the default configuration supports that mode.

Also, to make sure for current wwan modem state, provide its IDs, please:
- Device Manager, right click on the modem entry, Details tab, Option list, pull it down, Hardware ID (the 3rd item from the top);
- copy and past here the values from the field below

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

doweesh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,600
Message 3 of 12

P/N: 4XC0P59128

The device disappeared from the device manager list (on both laptops) so I can't get you the hardware ID. Not even a CMOS reset would bring it back up.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,586
Message 4 of 12

Is there is a typo in the p/n? Correct marketing p/n seems 4XC0L59128, FRU 00JT542.

Anyway, the card em7455 with this p/n (FRU) is positioned for previous generation of the ThinkPads. New revision of the em7455 for Kaby Lake based ThinkPads has another p/n and FRU - 4XC0M95181 and 01AX746, respectively, according to the System parts list. Its drivers:
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/downloads/ds120433

I don't know the difference of the modems revisions yet, so I have a plan to test modem like yours in new T470p I have. But I remember several threads here about different problems with this modem in recent ThinkPads.

Anyway, lets perform some efforts to resolve issue.
1. Disable internal battery in the BIOS Setup, laptop will power off itself
2. Remove AC charger and external battery
3. Press the power button and hold it for 20...30 seconds to reset BIOS/EC and power circuits state
4. Assemble the parts, enter the BIOS Setup, load and save default setting
5. Boot laptop and check out the modem condition.

If modem' issue persists:
1. repeate the items 1 & 2 above.
2. Disassemble laptop back cover (do not forget to remove the sim card holder).
3. Remove the wwan card for several minuts. This action wiil reset its circuits.
4. Assemble the parts, boot the laptop and check out the modem condition.

Do not install any drivers, modem should work without Sierra drivers as I mentioned above. For understanding of issue I'd remove the drivers right now, before the 1st part of the actions above. You'll install the drivers later.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

doweesh
Paper Tape
Views: 6,584
Message 5 of 12

Thank you for the insight, and yes there was a typo (an L in place of the P). Will do as directed.

Please have a look at the card's label. It may tell you something you can use as an input for a solution. Will report back on the results of the new reset.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,577
Message 6 of 12

As you see, I was right regarding the typo and p/n.
FRU p/n should be printed on the card' label.
Anyway, it's an older revision of the card.

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 6,382
Message 7 of 12

I am also facing the exact issue, Lenovo please fix the issues.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 6,374
Message 8 of 12

Hi maheshkr9, By the exact same issue, you mean you bought the wrong WWAN card for the X270? It's not clear that Lenovo can do anything about that.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 6,372
Message 9 of 12

Is there any way by which we can use  this card, I bought this with believe that this should work with x270. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 6,360
Message 10 of 12

Hi maheshkr, Where did you get your information? As pointed out by x220forme the correct Lenovo EM74655 part for X270 is 4XC0M95181. You bought 4XC0L59128 - why not return it and buy the supported part? 

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors