Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomBBB
Blue Screen Again
Views: 349
Message 1 of 6

Problem with Shut-Down/Reset/Hibernate/Sleep on my X1 Extreme

This is really annoying issue that happens from time to time. When I do Shut-Down/Reset/Hibernate/Sleep the screen goes black but the computer doesn't turn off, the power buttton and lenovo red dot are still on, even after long time. So I have to do long press on the power button to do hard power off.

I can't figure out why sometimes it happens and sometimes not. I tired to play with many settings (including power settings) on Windows but nothing seems to help, maybe the community can help me please?

Gerd-wd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 325
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problem with Shut-Down/Reset/Hibernate/Sleep on my X1 Extreme

Have the same issue on a X1 Yoga Gen 2 Win10 Enterprise 1903 64 bit.  I believe that it is an issue with the Intel Sensor Hub update posted recently by Lenovo.  The update just did not do the trick, in my humble opinion. I hope I will be wrong.

I have a case open at Lenovo and they did not reply to it so far.  

This behaviour is repeatable ad libitum:
Close lid issue:
- First closing of the lid, and opening it after the fan has switched off (after approx. 30 seconds, my indication of "sleep"): Display wakes up, login is possible - that is the expected.
- Second closing of the lid after this first close lid event:
o when closing, the fan does not switch off, starts cyclically over and over again, runs more slowly, stops briefly, starts again....  sleep is never entered
o when closed, the LED on the lid in the Thinkpad name does not blink slowly like in sleep, but is staticly on
When the lid is opened after second close lid event or, if you would sit closed longer on the first event and then open, the keyboard 
o control of the keyboard illumination works,
o Esc key LED is on and can be controlled
o Caps Lock LED can be controlled
o the notebook display is not activated
o Connecting to Dock does not generate an external screen
- Notebook must be forced into a reboot with PowerButton - pressed long time

If you don't do that reboot and leave the notebook w. open or closed lid, with or without a dock,
- the notebook remains in the state without sleep and without own or external screen display for some time (2-3 minutes), but with functioning keyboard control and fan operation
- then generates after these 2-3 minutes with any battery state or on power supply a BS and Minidump  with always "ntoskrnl.exe" and "Driver_Power_State_Failure" as highlighted stack driver entry
- the BS generates a visible image on the notebook screen again only at the boot sequence, until then, the screen remains dark (off)
- and waits in the boot screen of our Symantec encryption program for a password entry, btw. in battery mode without dock ... until the battery is deeply discharged.
This also explains why in the past I sometimes took the notebook out of my pocket with a deeply discharged battery and no clue to why that was.

Sleep mode issue
when on battery or on power, and if you have a "sleep after x minutes" is set in power options, and you leave your machine idle without interaction .. it will arrive at the event to go to sleep.. however, it never actually goes to sleep.  it will shut off the display, do internal things for the above mentioned 2-3 minutes, and then BS and restart, and you would come back to your machine... and, if no encryption is set, the device has rebooted in between and present to you the Windows login screen.  "Oh! the screen saver locked my device, how nice" - not so.  Only after we encrypted the SSD, my machine now wants a first pwd on boot..  and that screen is where I find my machine in, waiting for my boot pwd, indicating to me that in between the machine has done a complete re-boot.  

As long as you work your machine, which most of us do Smiley Wink , nothing of this happens during operation, and you will enjoy a stable machine operation with no issues of this kind whatsoever. 
TomBBB
Blue Screen Again
Views: 252
Message 3 of 6

Any solution? Today I put the computer on Sleep and put it in my bag, after few hours I opened my bag and found the laptop is still on and extremely hot! I hope no damage has been done, this is very severe bug!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerd-wd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 244
Message 4 of 6

I have to report that since only two days we could finish the recommendation of Lenovo in my case to do a complete fresh install of the Windows 10 OS v 1903 - and it fixed the issue!

I had to call in again to ask where the issue stands, then was asked whether I had upgraded to 1903 from the previous version (which was the case) and got this as a request "before ssuming the hardware is defect, we ask you install the OS fresh - no update".  We used a blank SSD to not give up the previous install. After that clean Win10 install, Software Update installed all Lenovo drivers from scratch, and since then the machine works like a charm and all the above ugly things are history. It runs cooler than before, and explorer and MS Office tools react promptly with no delay as before to the same user files copied back to machine thereafter.

Love it! 

Gerd-wd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 242
Message 5 of 6

PS: my IT team tells me they have similar effects on Dell machines we use as well in high numbers - as info in all fairness to Lenovo. 

yoga_1
Paper Tape
Views: 112
Message 6 of 6

I am getting a similar behavior on my 4th gen yoga.  I guess I will turn off the sleep behavior for now and hope that Lenovo figures out this issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors