Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smidge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,130
Message 1 of 6

Problems with new X61

Hi I recently obtained a new X61. I have tried to load on a number of applications; when the CD tries to launch I get variations on this error msg:

"Adobe Reader could not open 'SETUP.EXE' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Any hints

Scott
X61 Type 7675 92U
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,124
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems with new X61

Hi smidge, welcome to the forum,

please edit your serial number out of your post. (top right - options -edit post).

re your question, have you tried un-instaling Adobe? To be honest with you I haven't seen a similar problem. Is it possible that exe files have been conected to acrobat? If so you should be able to change this in control panel - folder options - file types.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,108
Message 3 of 6

smidge wrote:
Hi I recently obtained a new X61. I have tried to load on a number of applications; when the CD tries to launch I get variations on this error msg:

"Adobe Reader could not open 'SETUP.EXE' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Any hints

Firstly, since an X61 doesn't come with an internal CD/DVD drive, you need to tell us exactly what you are doing to attach a CD drive to the X61, and what type of drive it is.

Secondly, do you know for certain that the CD(s) concerned do still work on any PC?

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,092
Message 4 of 6

Adobe Reader can be downloaded from Adobe web site. It will be most recent version than on a CD.
Token Ring
Views: 3,084
Message 5 of 6

Instead of that bloatware Adobe Reader, try this lighweight Foxit PDF-Reader
smidge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,040
Message 6 of 6

Thx All, I managed to load in all the applications I wanted by first removing Adobe.

Having installed Office 2003, whenever I access an application I am greet by an end user acceptance screen. My Thinkpad appeared to register me automatically and I would have expected this screen to e generated just the once - it appears not; any clues.

Lastly, I understand that I may get much better performance by offloading Vista and putting XP Pro on - is this correct? If so, does doing this erase all the setup work already done? Is it tricky to do?

All hep much appreciated

Scott

X61 Type 7675 92U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors