Options

16 Posts

03-26-2016

US

58 Signins

403 Page Views

• Views: 403
  • Message 1 of 2

Pure carbon fiber for X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon?

2016-11-29, 3:36 AM

I used the 1st gen X1 Carbon for a while and found out that it's very robust and the touch feeling is very good. I guessed that all sides (A+B+C+D) of it are made by carbon fiber. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But when I use my X1 Yoga 1st gen, which has only carbon fiber on A side (the cover behind screen) and uses "Super Magnesium" on C+D sides (the cover around keyboard and behind the keyboard), this design bring several problems:

1. " Super Magnesium" is still metal, if you crash it by accident, you may leave a scrath on it permanently, this happens more on edges;

2. what's more, the paint at the edge of " Super Magnesium" will be rubbed away with time goes on, and you will see the white metal not the ThinkPad black;

3. metal will suffer from deformation by force;

4. the D side of my X1 yoga feels loose when you hold it with one hand, which make you feel cheap of this $1500 machine.

Thus I hope the next gen of X1 Yoga or X1 Carbon can provide a pure carbon fiber version, for better build quality and user experience.

How do you guys think about it?

Solved! See the solution
Options

12613 Posts

06-06-2011

RU

17677 Signins

173990 Page Views

• Views: 173990
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Pure carbon fiber for X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon?

2016-12-26, 8:49 AM
Hello

The small carrections about the case materials, according to the laptop specs.
x1c gen1
Display cover: Carbon Fiber;
Bottom: Magnesium/Aluminum

x1 yoga gen1
Carbon-Fiber Hybrid

So, IMO the question isn't material itself related only, but the case parts painting quality.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Browser Search to find the answers in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Использование поисковых сервисов Интернет, чтобы найти ответы на форуме Lenovo & Moto

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save