cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wanderseeme
Punch Card
Views: 1,277
Message 1 of 2

Pure carbon fiber for X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon?

I used the 1st gen X1 Carbon for a while and found out that it's very robust and the touch feeling is very good. I guessed that all sides (A+B+C+D) of it are made by carbon fiber. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But when I use my X1 Yoga 1st gen, which has only carbon fiber on A side (the cover behind screen) and uses "Super Magnesium" on C+D sides (the cover around keyboard and behind the keyboard), this design bring several problems:

1. " Super Magnesium" is still metal, if you crash it by accident, you may leave a scrath on it permanently, this happens more on edges;

2. what's more, the paint at the edge of " Super Magnesium" will be rubbed away with time goes on, and you will see the white metal not the ThinkPad black;

3. metal will suffer from deformation by force;

4. the D side of my X1 yoga feels loose when you hold it with one hand, which make you feel cheap of this $1500 machine.

Thus I hope the next gen of X1 Yoga or X1 Carbon can provide a pure carbon fiber version, for better build quality and user experience.

How do you guys think about it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,194
Message 2 of 2

Re: Pure carbon fiber for X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon?

Hello

The small carrections about the case materials, according to the laptop specs.
x1c gen1
Display cover: Carbon Fiber;
Bottom: Magnesium/Aluminum

x1 yoga gen1
Carbon-Fiber Hybrid

So, IMO the question isn't material itself related only, but the case parts painting quality.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors