Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
W2HX
Paper Tape
Views: 982
Message 1 of 6

Question on Gen 2 Thinkpad X1 Yoga and OLED option

Hello friends,

I am in the process of using the lenovo sales site to configure a new Thinkpad X1 Yoga to purchase. There is one thing that concerns me. When I go to select the OLED display option, the following warning shows:

14.0 WQHD (2560 x 1440) OLED Touch

WWAN is not available with 14.0 WQHD (2560 x 1440) OLED Touch display.

I tried to do some research on this, but I need some confirmation from people who have experience with this. It is my understanding that this 2 in 1 can actually use a sim chip and connect directly to 4G LTE networks. Is this correct? That is truly a great feature. However, can someone confirm that I lose this feature if I purchase an OLED display with this order? I am thinking this might get lost because of the warning "WWAN is not available with 14.0 WQHD (2560 x 1440) OLED Touch display."

Can anyone confirm or clarify all of this? I would love to get an OLED display. However i know I will lose some battery life. I think that could be an acceptable tradeoff. However, if I also have to lose 4G LTE connectivity with the OLED that might push me over to an IPS display.

Thanks everyone!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 938
Message 2 of 6

Re: Question on Gen 2 Thinkpad X1 Yoga and OLED option

You need the WWAN card and the antennas to get 4G LTE connectivity.  My X1 Yoga does not have the OLED display and I have no access to engineering info, but my guess is that something related to the OLED display caused interference that affected FCC certification, or that something related to the OLED panel got in the way of the WWAN antenna wires inside the lid.  I really like my IPS display, but I primarily use it indoors.  For outdoor use, I think I would find that there was too much glare. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
W2HX
Paper Tape
Views: 910
Message 3 of 6

I've been reading some other posts on these forums. I have read for the regular Yoga (maybe 910?) that the celluar antenna is actuall somehow related to the display. What I heard was that in order to install the the WWAN antenna you must disassemble the display as that is where the antenna goes. This could make sense why the OLED screen might somehow interfere with this antenna (or vice versa).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 906
Message 4 of 6

The antenna runs inside the lid behind the panel.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
justinvaughn
Paper Tape
Views: 724
Message 5 of 6

So is there a physical obstruction or are you just saying that the panel will cause electronic interference with the antenna?

justinvaughn
Paper Tape
Views: 690
Message 6 of 6

From what I'm gathering this seems to be more a certification issue - in that Lenovo didn't want to pay to certify the communication standards on different combinations of hardware. This configuration can be had in non-US regions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors