Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 340
  • Message 1 of 7

Quick n easy help from X1 Yoga 3rd, 4th and 5th Gen owner pretty please! :)

2021-03-05, 14:33 PM

Hi all, I currently have an X1 Tablet Gen3 which is likely to be swapped for an X1 Yoga, Gens 3-5 (don't know which yet)

To avoid running into problems or being disappointed, I'm looking for the model of the Voltage Regulator installed on each of these models.

If you know already, please write it here!
If not, it's easy to find if you have HWinfo (free and very useful, you can find it here: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ )

Here's where the info is on my Gen3 X1 Tab:

Lenovo X1 Tablet Gen3 HWinfo CPU Panel

Under first (CPU) entry in left list, click your CPU, then scroll all the way down in the right pane and it's there.

Please could one kind owner of each of those Gens 3-5 either post a screenshot or you can right-click and select "copy result" and paste that here.
Alternatively, if someone knows where I can find this info in a technical document please let me know, i've spent hours searching!

Thanks in advance

J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Answer
Options

2206 Posts

07-22-2010

United States of America

10309 Signins

174852 Page Views

• Views: 174852

Re:Quick n easy help from X1 Yoga 3rd, 4th and 5th Gen owner pretty please! :)

2021-03-06, 5:30 AM

@ Fbwsol wrote:

Hi all, I currently have an X1 Tablet Gen3 which is likely to be swapped for an X1 Yoga, Gens 3-5 (don' know which yet)

To avoid running into problems or being disappointed, I' looking for the model of the Voltage Regulator installed on each of these models.

If not, it' easy to find if you have HWinfo (free and very useful, you can find it here: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ )

Here' where the info is on my Gen3 X1 Tab:

Under first (CPU) entry in left list, click your CPU, then scroll all the way down in the right pane and it' there.

Please could one kind owner of each of those Gens 3-5 either post a screenshot or you can right-click and select "copy result" and paste that here.
Alternatively, if someone knows where I can find this info in a technical document please let me know, i' spent hours searching!

Thanks in advance

J

I have a X1 Yoga 3rd gen

See below.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
T14s Gen 2, T14 Gen 1, T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p,A30p

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Replies(6)
Options

3622 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

282 Signins

18205 Page Views

• Views: 18205
  • Message 2 of 7

2021-03-05, 15:03 PM

Hello Fbwsol,

Greetings

I've tried to dig for the answer to your query, however I can't find one.

I urge fellow users to provide inputs regarding this topic.

Let's wait for their comments about this

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Answer
Options

2206 Posts

07-22-2010

United States of America

10309 Signins

174852 Page Views

• Views: 174852
  • Message 3 of 7

2021-03-06, 5:30 AM

@ Fbwsol wrote:

Hi all, I currently have an X1 Tablet Gen3 which is likely to be swapped for an X1 Yoga, Gens 3-5 (don' know which yet)

To avoid running into problems or being disappointed, I' looking for the model of the Voltage Regulator installed on each of these models.

If not, it' easy to find if you have HWinfo (free and very useful, you can find it here: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ )

Here' where the info is on my Gen3 X1 Tab:

Under first (CPU) entry in left list, click your CPU, then scroll all the way down in the right pane and it' there.

Alternatively, if someone knows where I can find this info in a technical document please let me know, i' spent hours searching!

Thanks in advance

J

I have a X1 Yoga 3rd gen

See below.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
T14s Gen 2, T14 Gen 1, T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p,A30p

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-03-06, 7:51 AM

Thank you very much @Green5178 :)
Still seem to be some behind the scenes issues with the support servers so can't give you a 👍 yet but you get one! :)

I'll wait out and hope for Gen4 and Gen5 details, but you'll get the marked solution for your tally as you're first :)
Thanks again :)
J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-03-06, 8:22 AM
Thanks for trying @Lorenzo_Lenovo, thankfully it's an easy find with HWInfo so I have faith the community can step in :) Can you confirm by the way the issues with the support servers - couple of days of sporadic uptime, and at the moment still can't "like a post"? I also noticed that my avatar is corrupted/squished, and that uploading new avatar fails... Thanks again!
--- Long-time IT tamer
Options

7312 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29353 Signins

1681668 Page Views

• Views: 1681668
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-03-08, 0:27 AM

@ Fbwsol ...

Can you describe the possible problems you foresee, based on which voltage regulator is found in the newer X1 Yoga models?

There may be other members who can join the discussion and offer their experiences.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

34 Posts

12-02-2018

57 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-03-09, 10:09 AM

Hi there @NateS and anyone else who might be interested :)

Short version, this is only an issue for ppl who purchase more powerful i7 or i9 packages, wanting to get maximum sustained performance from them, especially with a very compact form factor such as Helix/Tablet/Yoga, as the core of the problem is actually poor -or, in some larger laptops, cheap - cooling. Bear in mind, the operative word is sustained, i.e. heavy CPU workloads lasting more than 10s or so.

In fact, my question to the forum was the wrong one, the problem isn't the VRM model as it will always be an IMVP8 in these generation units.
Only the new TigerLake will use higher rated IMVP9.

The problem is the power limit of each model, "PL4", and even then it only becomes a problem if cooling can't keep up with the power of the CPU and the heat it, and other components, give off into the notebook. Under these conditions, since all IC's consume more power at higher temperatures, the chips can't be kept cool so they consumer more power to maintain performance, which leads to more heat, more power etc etc.
The 8550U in my X1 Tablet consumes around 30W immediately when fully loaded with 8 threads, and since cooling is awful given the format, this rises fast to past 34W and "trips" the power limit baked into this controller as implemented on this device.
The measured sustained cooling power of my system is only around 23-24W as provided, so my CPU can't maintain full all-core boost for very long at all before the whole system gets flooded and I throttle.
I've improved things somewhat with a repaste and undervolt, meaning I now hit that limit around 17/18s instead of 10/11s at stock, but after that I'm forced to use a limited multiplier (32 or 33) with my own PL1 (long-term power limit) of 24W to keep the system from throttling and performance dropping savagely when I do extended workloads...

In order to inform my purchasing what I really need from the community is sadly more onerous than just opening the HWinfo window - it's what I've used to diagnose and mitigate these problems, namely using ThrottleStop to see what limits are set by default on the system, and how the system copes with these limits, then disabling the artificial power limits temporarily to see the real long-term capability of the cooling solution and setting those limits permanently in a more optimal way to adapt to that cooling potential.
The upside for anyone willing to help is that they get a system that will run cooler and quieter ALWAYS at a given load and will have much improved sustained performance. All completely safely and, if desired, reversible, and doesn't in any way affect warranty. It will actually increase longevity of the CPU!
For my X1 i've settled at 16 seconds max boost at max power instead of the 9s 29W limit the device came with, which is actually less than the chip wants to consume at full power at cold. Hence the anger of many people who bought this machine with an i7.
I can then maintain a 33x multiplier for around two minutes, or a 32x multiplier indefinitely, I switch "profiles" in ThrottleStop depending on the workload I'm trying to achieve.
If you're a Gen3, 4 or 5 Yoga owner and want to spend a little time and effort to improve your heat and power, I'm happy to walk you through the process, it's not rocket science just two small freeware programs. If you know what you're looking for, it's around 1-2 hours total time invested to optimise :)

I would get to know if, unlike the X1 Tablet Gen3, the Yoga's cooling can actually cope with the CPU it's sold with, and therefore if that would be a good buy for me or if I need to "go bigger"...

Cheers
J

--- Long-time IT tamer
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms