Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NHS1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,875
Message 1 of 6

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen2 - Multiple Issues

I just purchased a X1 Yoga 2nd Gen with a high-end configuration.  In theory, this is my ideal computer for home (which includes a lot of computer modeling work in evenings and weekends).

But I just returned it because I was experiencing a cascade of mostly mouse-related issues.  At times, these issues all affected the TrackPoint, TouchPad an X1 external travel mouse, so they were not device-specific.

I first noticed the mouse would freeze, and display a tiny scroll-bar pointer.  When I'd try to move the mouse, the scroll bar gliff would shift from vertical to horizontal, etc... but the mouse would not move and could not be used.  I would have to force a reboot and repeat until the problem went away.  I seemed to minimize this problem by changing a mouse setting in Devices / Mouse Properties / Thinkpad.  Under Enable TrackPoint, I changed the Middle Button Action to "Use as middle click".  This seemed to improve things...

But then the mouse started rapidly drifting across the screen, and this drifting process would go on and on until I rebooted (often several times).  When the mouse was drifting -- always towards the upper-right -- it was essentially impossible to use the computer.

I also found that the mouse buttons would quit working frequently.  This was most common when I had other processes running.  But the CPU (and memory) was far from maxed out -- I had it at 30-40%.  This problem became more and more common.  The only solution I could find was to use <CTRL> <ALT> <DEL> to get to the reboot screen, and then cancel out... going back to the desktop.  That would make the mouse buttons work again.  But only temporarilly.  This could be related to some "lagging" issues others have reported on, but if so, the lag time must be measured in minutes...

I also had problems with the screen flickering in some cases (OLED screen), but more consistently it would fail to dim / darken anytime I had a significant job running.  It behaved as if the computer was unable to multi-task.

Then I started having bizarre issues with mouse clicks delivering some sort of odd input.  All I know is that clicking in Chrome would all of a sudden start raising new browser tabs, and clicking on the tabs would kill them.  It didn't make any sense, and was very odd.  But the problem was repeatable.  At that point, I could no longer use the to even check my email.

Finally, the bluetooth card died entirely, and I was told by a technician that the system board would have to be replaced.

These problems all cropped up in the span of less than 2 weeks from when I recieved the machine, and were kind of crushing because I was excited to have it, and put a bunch of effort into leaning Windows 10 (I'd managed to avoid it until now) and getting a few key apps installed, etc.  I have considerable experience with high-end luggable Lenovo laptops, and was always quite happy until Lenovo removed the mouse buttons and added the number pad -- shifting the keyboard center to the left of the screen middle.  This Yoga is my first experience with a personal laptop.

My question to readers who see this post is:  How likely is it that the problems I experienced are truely associated with one buggy system versus indicative of a larger issue with Lenovo hardware and software quality control?  I loved the X1 Yoga 2nd Gen for the couple of days that it worked correctly...  Should I try again with another one?  Would I be better off with a different Lenovo (e.g. P40 or P40s), or should I throw in the towell?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Moderator comment: New post created. Subject edited. Was: Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

Philipb1
Serial Port
Views: 1,317
Message 2 of 6

Hi I am not having all the problems you are having but i am very unhappy with the trackpad scrolling and how the mouse jumps around and scrolls very slowly in text files (but not the browser). I have posted here - there is also a video (gif file) showing smooth browser scrolling and almost painful text editor scrolling

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-2nd-Gen-Trackpad/m-p/3759558/highligh...

Philipb1
Serial Port
Views: 1,315
Message 3 of 6

I like you was excited at having what appears to be one of the best laptops on the market. I am still using a T420 for my main programming work because of the great keyboard and touchpad with buttons. I am waiting for a replacement for the X1 Yoga and will get my money back if its touchpad is jumpy and dificult to use. Lenovo copies Apple in so many stupid things and yet something like the touchpad they do not copy - mad. I also have a Macbook Pro and its clickpad is amazing in windows 10 but i cannot do my IT programming work with the cutdown Apple keyboard

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,285
Message 4 of 6

Moderator comment: New post created. Subject edited. Was: Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

So is this a Gen5, as the OP says in the original title, or a Gen2 as the OP says in the post? The Gen2 hasn't been sold for a few years now. The OP talks about Win10 being preinstalled which also suggests a Gen5.

Sorry!

Serial Port
Views: 1,280
Message 5 of 6

The Gen 2 X1 YOGA is the latest verson of the YOGA - this post is not about the X1 carbon

CRMKonrad
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

I am experiencing the same issue on six X1 Yoga Gen 2's at my office.

If I take users out of the "Recommended/Default" "Balanced" Power Plan and put them in “High " the issue mostly goes away.  However, there can still be some lag situations.  When I say lag - typing, mouse movements (regardless of input method) and scrolling can take several seconds to respond.  Things can compound to the point where a reboot is the only option.

I have done every update imaginable.  Image intensive webpages and multiple tabs open in IE seems to help the problem appear more regularly but I've had issues from Outlook, to Excel, to Edge, to Chrome.  One perhaps commonality with this other user is using we are both using Webroot as our AV.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors