Options

1 Posts

06-05-2008

CA

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 7

Re: X300 email received for 802.11 a/g/n WiFi LAN card + worthless Lenovo customer service rep

2008-06-05, 22:01 PM
I received the email at the bottom of this message yesterday.  I'm assuming it's legit, but was puzzled to find no mention of this in the forums, on the main lenovo website, googling, etc.  And I'm still trusting that this email was legit, though the customer service guy who answered was absolutely clueless.  

The reference code meant absolutely nothing to him.  I read out the email to him, and he replies that he's never heard of this before ever.  He's asking for personal information; and at that point I become hesitant given the uselessness of the reference code, the cluelessness of the service rep, and general fears of ID theft.  He later starts explaining that this is a recall, and he needs to look into parts availability, shipping charges, etc.  This goes on for half an hour.  He finally says everything should be fine and gives me a case number.  I ask if I can track this online, and he says without hesitation, "Sure, go to lenovo.com."  I tell him I'm on lenovo.com and ask him where.  Then, the clueless **bleep** replies: "Oh.  I guess you can't."

Dear Valued Customer,

Our records reflect that you purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad X300 notebook PC in February or March, 2008.  Our intent was to offer a wireless WiFi local area network (LAN) card supporting 802.11 a/g/n for purchase at the time your order was placed, however the only card presented to you at that time was a wireless WiFi LAN card supporting 802.11 a/g. The WiFi card shipped with your system will function normally on all WiFi networks, but is not able to achieve 802.11n connection speeds when associating to a network equipped with 802.11n access points.

Accordingly, at no charge to you, Lenovo is offering you a new wireless card supporting 802.11 a/g and n.  To take advantage of this optional offer and receive the new wireless card, simply contact the Lenovo support center at 1-800-426-7378 Option 1, 1, 1, before December 31, 2008.  When you call, please reference "ECA TP 128".  You will also need the model type and serial # of your Thinkpad.

This new wireless card can be inserted by a customer in about 5 minutes.  Installation instructions are available on lenovo.com and can be viewed by accessing this link: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-69423.  If you wish for Lenovo to install the new card for you, also without charge, you can request this additional assistance when you call, and Lenovo will make arrangements consistent with your ThinkPad warranty service terms.

We hope you will take advantage of this offer, and hope your ThinkPad X300 notebook PC has met or exceeded your expectations in every other regard.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX 
Project Manager
Critical Situation Resolutions
Lenovo US

xxxxxxxx@lenovo.com
1-800-xxx-xxxx

Message Edited by nonny on 06-05-2008 06:36 PM
Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12809 Signins

291260 Page Views

• Views: 291260
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: X300 email received for 802.11 a/g/n WiFi LAN card + worthless Lenovo customer service rep

2008-06-05, 22:27 PM
i remember seeing this a few months ago over on forum.thinkpads.com.   a free AGN card upgrade was given due to the cards having been out of stock during the beginning of X300 CTO sales.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

2 Posts

06-07-2008

ATLANTA GA

2 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 3 of 7

2008-06-07, 18:24 PM
Lenovo is always going to ask you for your information when you call them. For every inbound call they must creat an case for you. After your first time calling in your information will always be in the system provided that you have the same phone number. At this point all the information you will need to provide them with them is your machine type and serial number and the phone number where the machine is located at. As far as the agent not knowing about the "ECA 128" this email went out before Lenovo informed there Tech Support about it. I want you to keep in mind that it is not easy working in a High Call Volume call center. So work with them and they will work with you! 
Options

2 Posts

06-11-2008

Ann Arbor Michigan

5 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 4 of 7

2008-06-11, 15:00 PM
I also received the email and called the telephone number in the message. I provided information about my X300 system and a mailing address to which to send the replacement wireless card. It arrived in a few days.

I installed the card according to the directions provided by the link in the original email. It tooks about five minutes to install the card.

I find, however, that Access Connections does not recognize the new card, although Windows XP does. Even though Access Connections does not recognize the card, wireless connections function fine though the Windows wireless utility. I assume that the cause of the problem comes from my having set up Windows wireless networking, rather than Access Connections, initially after restarting the system following installation of the card.  Now I wonder how I can get Access Connections to recognize the card.

Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12809 Signins

291260 Page Views

• Views: 291260
  • Message 5 of 7

2008-06-11, 17:50 PM
jrodgersumich, try reinstalling access connections (found here) and see if that helps.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

2 Posts

06-11-2008

Ann Arbor Michigan

5 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 6 of 7

2008-06-12, 2:25 AM
Thanks very much.  That was to be my next step, but simply creating a new profile for the replacement card did the trick.

JR
Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 7 of 7

2008-06-12, 12:23 PM
Access Connections cannot update a profile if new hardware is added to a system (which is basically what happens when you go from a AG card to an AGN one).
If you use WZC, you will also find that all your wireless profiles disappear since Microsoft stores those profiles on a per card basis rather than globally.  This can also sometimes happen with WZC if a driver upgrade makes the system see the adapter as "new". (It'll become Wireless Connection 2 in Network Connections)
To change the profile in Access Connections, you will need to delete and recreate the profile or you can edit the profile and go to the General Settings tab.  You should see the Intel 4965 AG card listed.  Unchecked it and press OK. (If the profile is wireless only, click on Convert to "Best Available Network", then uncheck the wireless card)
Then re-edit the profile and go to the General Settings tab again and should see a button to Convert to "Best Available Network".  Click that and now the new wireless card should already be chosen.  Then go to the Wireless Settings tab and re-enter the SSID and authentication settings and credentials.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete