04-11-2013

usa

7 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 51 of 109

Re: x1 carbon wireless problem

2013-04-19, 12:47 PM

An update:  I got sick of this and called Lenovo support and managed to convince them to replace the card.  Funny thing was, I told them I didn't not want the same chipset--the 6205-- and was told they did not have any 6205's for replacement.  So  I'm getting a 6250, instead.  We'll see what happens.  Waiting for the tech to arrive next week and install (he's waiting on the part).

Options

27 Posts

12-21-2012

USA

41 Signins

328 Page Views

• Views: 328
  • Message 52 of 109

2013-04-22, 19:01 PM

It's been a while since I posted.  I have some updates.

I have 2 solutions to this problem.  BOTH worked for me.

#1. I found this article http://www.neowin.net/news/intels-wi-fi-adapters-connectivity-issues-plague-users which made me curious if our 6205 card may also have similar issues.  I found more information here http://communities.intel.com/thread/31090?start=0&tstart=0 on this Intel forum.  The solution is to DOWNGRADE the driver to the included Microsoft Windows 8 driver, which is something like 14.2.X.X.  Doing this solved both my wireless drops as well as the lenghty delays in Wireless connectivity after resuming from sleep.  To do this go to the driver in device manager, right click and choose "Update Driver", select the bottom option of "browse", then again the bottom option for "let me pick", and finally choose the bottom driver which has "(Microsoft)" at the end in parenthesis.  Reboot, and I bet your issues are resolved.

#2.  I had severe issues with Metro (or Modern, or whatever you want to call it) to where nearly no applications would launch.  Instead they just crashed a few second after opening.  Evernote Touch sitll worked though! lol.  Continuing on, after troubleshooting I determined it was necessary to do a Windows 8 refresh or reset.   So instead of this I decided to do my own clean install of Windows 8 Pro.

After doing the install I was troubleshooting an issue with wireless connectivity that ended up being a problem with the default configuration of this card.  In the driver settings there is an option for "802.11n Channel Width band for 2.4ghz".  This is set to 20 Mhz instead of auto.  My home network uses 40 Mhz, so this was my route problem.  During the troubleshooting though I updated to Intel Driver 15.5.7.52.  I am pleased to report that this driver, with a clean install of Windows 8 Pro, ALSO solves my problem.  No wireless drops AND no delays when resuming from sleep. 

There you have it folks... hopefully one of these 2 solutions will help you to :)

BTW.  If there is sufficient demand, I will post up a tutorial for doing your own Windows 8 install.  Keep in mind though, I have business licensing so I used a corporate key.  I am not sure how, at the moment, to retain your OEM license key.

Options

27 Posts

12-21-2012

USA

41 Signins

328 Page Views

• Message 53 of 109

2013-04-22, 19:18 PM

Dang.... quick update... it's been fine for 2 days, but evidently I haven't been watching YouTube videos. Sad to say wireless has dropped twice while watching a 4 minute video. On a positive note though, I do not have to go into airplane mode and then out of airplane mode to reconnect to my wireless. Instead it just reconnects fine after seclecting my SSID and hitting connect. I will try downgrading (or other troubleshooting AGAIN) back to the default WIndows 8 driver and report back later.

Options

98 Posts

03-17-2013

California, USA

164 Signins

1399 Page Views

• Views: 1399
  • Message 54 of 109

2013-04-23, 5:38 AM

wrote:

Hi tdemarco,

Are your systems using Intel Centrino?

Have you updated to the latest BIOS, drivers or installed the PROSet Wireless software?

A lot of people have been having success when they start using the PROSet Wireless.

Support Center

Driver Detector

Please help me understand.. why aren't the latest drivers available from Lenovo's Support site? Where is the manufacturer's support for their products? Each time I call Lenovo, they always direct me to the support site, however, it doesn't get any more clearer that the Support site is pathetically outdated! How does this make ANY sense??!!

Options

1 Posts

04-26-2013

UK

7 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 55 of 109

2013-04-26, 1:09 AM

I was about to splash out on an X1C then I found this thread.

Some things are still unclear:

First, does anybody know if this issue affects all recent laptops with the same Intel Wifi chipset? I mean, is it exclusive to the X1 or is it possible that I could have this issue if I buy something like an Asus instead?

Having an unstable wireless connection is a showstopper for me. I would like to know if this issue only occurs when the network throughput is high, or also when the network idle, for example, casual web browsing, skype, etc?

Could it be due to a bad batch? Assuming Lenovo have shipped thousands of units, I would expect many more people to be complaining about it.

Thanks

Options

20 Posts

01-26-2013

Australia

67 Signins

306 Page Views

• Views: 306
  • Message 56 of 109

2013-04-26, 1:41 AM

Well I definitely had issues when I first received my X1 Carbon.

I since upgraded the Wifi drivers soon after I had it, using the Intel recommended upgrade (i.e. not from Lenovo's driver page). Intel has an utility that scans and detects what's out of date and suggests what needs updating.

My driver is currently this version

30/09/2012

And the device is reported as a "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205"

All my driver settings (Advanced tab) are the default I think.

Running a company image of Windows 7 x64 SP1. i.e. all of Lenovo's stuff was basically wiped (mine came with Windows 8). There are some Lenovo utils to do things like the on screen display as part of our image.

Since upgrading, Wifi has been completely reliable as far as I can tell. I only use Wifi at home, but in the office I use Ethernet via the official USB 3.0 dock. Often though at home on the Wifi I set up the machine in my office and Remote Desktop to it from my personal laptop. So all that is running over the Wifi too. It never drops out and I frequently leave the RDP session running for long periods (over night etc)

Options

5 Posts

12-19-2012

New York, NY

14 Signins

101 Page Views

• Views: 101
  • Message 57 of 109

2013-04-29, 3:11 AM

ugh. this so frustrating.

I have had the X1C for about 4 months now and the wireless internet dropping connection is STILL an issue.

however, it has always been an issue that occurs very randomly so it is tough for me to decide whether I should replace the unit or to determine if this is a faulty wi-fi card or not. I would say I get a dropped internet connection about 2-3 times a week.

a quick Airplane mode ON/OFF fixes the problem right away but as you can imagine, what if I am in the middle of a business presentation that needs WI-FI? or some other delicate situation?

very frustrating and would love to know if there is a definitive fix out there or what Lenovo plans to do about this.

Intel Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205

Options

8 Posts

02-12-2013

Canada

28 Signins

154 Page Views

• Views: 154
  • Message 58 of 109

2013-05-01, 17:38 PM

I have the same problem with X1 Carbon.  This is brand new since Jan 2013.  I have been having wireless problems on my X1 Carbon since the start and it is getting really frustrating.  I have X1 Carbon with W8, 64 bit

What gives?  

Options

27 Posts

12-21-2012

USA

41 Signins

328 Page Views

• Message 59 of 109

2013-05-01, 19:06 PM

Follow up.  

As I said in my post above, my wireless has been 100% flawless using stock (included with Windows 8) driver.  I get instant wireless resuming from sleep and no drops.

Options

1 Posts

05-04-2013

Pennsylvania

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 60 of 109

2013-05-04, 22:02 PM

Rolling back to the Microsoft drivers for the wireless card has had me up and running all day. 

The router causing the issue was a Linksys/Cisco WRT54G2 .

Before I would maintain connection with the router but lose internet access within 5 minutes.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms