Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-28-2008

Brooklyn, NY

15 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 1 of 7

Received my X61 yesterday...

2008-07-28, 19:20 PM

Just wanted to state that I've never been more happy with any purchase EVER.

The keyboard is amazing, the computer is blazing fast (2.4 ghz with turbo memory). The screen is sharp and crisp, though could be a bit brighter.

Battery life... 6+ hours when actually being used. Wow. This laptop is actually useful on long flights from JFK to Tokyo/Shanghai!

The thinklight... which I don't think gets much mention. God bless you lenovo for adding this little feature in.

I love the fact that there's no touch pad. What a waste that is. I'm perfectly happy with the little red nib. Why the touch pad even exists is beyond me.

The thing just feels so SOLID compared to my old Toshiba.

I do have a few questions:

1. I am having some difficulty getting the password manager to work with FireFox 3. Is it not supported? The Password manager seems to work with everything else...
  2. Is there any way to get the thinklight to blink when I get an email or a message (I use pidgin messenger)
  3. Does turbo memory need to be enabled or is it on by default? I would like to be able to disable it just so I can see what difference it makes when enabled (boot time, program load times, etc.)
  4. Can someone explain how the ThinkVantage backup stuff works? I love the idea that I can at anytime rebuild my OS from the hidden partition, but I am confused as to how the "imaging" works. Does the imaging restore EVERYTHING including my programs, settings, etc? If so, where does it store this image? I have 40gb used right now and did a backup. Surely it's not creating a 40gb image on my hidden partition, so what gives?

Thanks and glad to join this community! :smileyhappy:

Options

6 Posts

07-28-2008

Brooklyn, NY

15 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Received my X61 yesterday...

2008-08-04, 14:42 PM
Anyone?
Options

137 Posts

08-23-2008

Murphy, Texas

164 Signins

1856 Page Views

• Views: 1856
  • Message 3 of 7

2008-08-28, 23:06 PM
The recovery partition (I don't think) will mirror the exact size of your working partition.  I believe that R&R uses compression to make the file sizes smaller, but I'm not sure how much.
Thinkpad T400 6474-R2U
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Options

33 Posts

08-07-2008

NY

46 Signins

821 Page Views

• Views: 821
  • Message 4 of 7

2008-08-28, 23:34 PM

The blue button restores to factory default only, (when you open ur box)

For data and software backup, you can use the "Windows Restore" option, in Accessories >> System Tools

As far as I know, there is no way to program the ThinkLight, but I like ur idea, thou. :smileyhappy:

ps, I live in Staten Island, ha ha

Message Edited by IBMlenovo123 on 08-28-2008 07:36 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T21, T23, T41, T42, T43, X41 Tablet
Options

3 Posts

08-28-2008

Germany

6 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 5 of 7

2008-08-29, 2:20 AM
At least on Debian GNU/Linux, Pidgin has a handy plugin called pidgin-thinklight. I guess something very similiar exists for the Windows-version as well.
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 6 of 7

2008-08-29, 3:41 AM

1. FireFox 3 right now don't support the password manager yet.

2. Thinklight blinking??

Options

83 Posts

06-01-2008

Dallas

116 Signins

3849 Page Views

• Views: 3849
  • Message 7 of 7

2008-08-30, 1:06 AM

Hi brooklyn.  Glad to hear you like your new X61. Let me see if I can help to answer your questions:  

I am having some difficulty getting the password manager to work with FireFox 3. Is it not supported? The Password manager seems to work with everything else...You need to apply the Client Security Solution patch for Mozilla Firefox3 or  alternatively, you could run ThinkVantage System Update, and it should find it and show it an update to download. 

Is there any way to get the thinklight to blink when I get an email or a message (I use pidgin messenger).  I just Googled the word "thinklight" and found this link to ThinkWiki.  On that page it shows a link to "pidgin-blinklight"  which is of course a 3-rd party tool you could try out if you like.  I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works well or not. 

Does turbo memory need to be enabled or is it on by default?    I'm not sure if the Turbo Memory is enabled by default.  Since you didn't mention your OS, I'm going to guess you're using Vista, since you're asking about Turbo Memory - which is only used in Vista not XP.   You should see it listed in Start - >  Programs.  If you open up the Intel Turbo Memory console window, it's fairly straightforward and easy to figure out.  You should be able to verify if it's enabled or not. 

Can someone explain how the ThinkVantage backup stuff works?   Rescue & Recovery is a complete backup and restore utility.  You can schedule your backups to run either daily, weekly, or monthly at whatever time of day you choose. The very first time you take your initial backup usually takes the longest.  This is your "base" backup and that is a complete snapshot of your system as of that point in time, including data, programs, settings, etc.  Each subsequent backup is known as an "incremental" backup.  When you set your backup schedule, you can indicate the number of incrementals you want to have.  The default is 5.  The minimum is 2, the maximum is 32.  Incremental backups are much smaller in size and usually take a lot less time to complete than the base backup.   The backups are stored in a hidden folder on your C:\ drive.  If you're  operating system becomes corrupted or you otherwise can't boot into Windows, you can hit the blue ThinkVantage button at power-on (during the ThinkVantage splash screen), and that will take you into the Rescue & Recovery pre-boot environment so that you could do a restore from one of your saved backups.  You can go "back in time" and put your system back to the way it was when you took a previous backup.   If you wan't to read more, you should consult the User Guide - when you launch R&R, go into the advanced menu, under Help -> User Guide.  

Message Edited by kr00zn on 08-29-2008 08:07 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms