Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrFishyLobster
Paper Tape
Views: 207
Message 1 of 2

Removing Scratches from X1 Extreme Gen 2 Case

Hi,

I just recently purchased a lenovo thinkpad X1 that has the carbon weave. I put it in a (non-lenovo) computer sleeve made of a soft material, and then into my bag. When i got home, the laptops carbon weave case was scratched. There were many scratches only noticeable in good light, and some that could be easily noticed in bad light. 

How do i better take care of my laptop, and is it possible to get rid of the scratches easily?

drholliday
Token Ring
Views: 117
Message 2 of 2

Re: Removing Scratches from X1 Extreme Gen 2 Case

Some of those "soft" sleeves aren't as soft as you'd think. Either the material feels soft to the skin, but is abrasive to other materials when pressure and movement is applied, or they'll trap grit and become a nice scouring pad. I quit using cases on any laptop years ago, unless it's a "bump case" style that stays on continuously. Except Lenovo doesn't have any real bump cases available for their product line. Fujitsu, on the other hand, used to have perfectly matched cases for their T series. So for my Lenovos (especially the X1s, due to their thinness and not being able to take a permanent case of any kind), I've resorted to using vinyl wraps on them.

You can get them online, or if you have access to a vinyl printer, make one yourself. I just get sheets of Oracal 951 and cut my own to fit my X1s. When the vinyl gets scratched, send another one to the cutter, rip off the old nasty one, and replace. I ordered one originally from one of those "skin" places and realized that most of the online pre-made ones suck. They don't provide enough coverage to protect many of the critically exposed areas. You may also be able to get a local signage shop with a UV or latex printer to cut you one if you can provide a drawing for them. And, they'd be able to print whatever pattern you want on your "skin". 

In case you have access to a cutter, an easy way is to take a picture of the laptop perfectly parallel (I used a copy stand) with a ruler. Then scale the image 1:1 in Photoshop. You can then draw over the cut locations with the line tool. I cheated and imported the image into Illustrator, then used the Image Tracing tool to convert the image into a vector outline. Delete the unwanted pieces and export as an SVG. That'll translate to a cut file for vinyl cutters fairly easily.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors