Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

01-12-2013

Arlington, VA

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 6

Repeated BSODs in my brand new X230 (with Windows 8)

2013-01-12, 20:56 PM

Hello

I purchased the new X230 in early December and then went on vacation (without it) for two weeks. Thus this is really my first week using it. I've had NINE blue screens of death already, each with the term dpc_watchdog_violation. Further, my Citrix remote work-enabled system shuts down on this computer, making this computer just about useless for work purposes. I'm worried this is a lemon -- how can I have so many crashes in the first week of use? The summary of the crash events is below. Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone had problems with rtwlane.sys on their X230s?

Thanks for your thoughts and time,

ML

On Sat 1/12/2013 7:41:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011213-19546-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7AD40)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x281, 0x280, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/12/2013 7:41:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rtwlane.sys (rtwlane+0xFF204)
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\rtwlane.sys
product: Realtek PCIEWireless LAN PCI-E NIC
company: Realtek Semiconductor Corporation
description: Realtek PCIE NDIS Driverr
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rtwlane.sys (Realtek PCIE NDIS Driverr, Realtek Semiconductor Corporation ).
Google query: Realtek Semiconductor Corporation DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Fri 1/11/2013 7:08:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011113-22437-01.dmp
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 1/11/2013 6:27:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011113-20000-01.dmp

On Thu 1/10/2013 7:25:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011013-19296-01.dmp

On Thu 1/10/2013 7:18:01 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011013-25890-01.dmp

On Thu 1/10/2013 6:50:59 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011013-26921-01.dmp

On Thu 1/10/2013 7:01:44 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\011013-73421-01.dmp

On Wed 1/9/2013 7:18:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\010913-17562-01.dmp

Answer
Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643

Re: Repeated BSODs in my brand new X230 (with Windows 8)

2013-01-14, 21:40 PM

Hi, MLinBerlin

I did some research on the issue on Microsoft's website and found this page explaining what a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION is. According to Microsoft, this error is normally caused by either hardware or a driver of associated hardware. For this reason, I would recommend making sure that all the drivers and BIOS are up to date to rule out any software reasons for this issue. All drivers for your system can be found here. It could possibly be hardware, but let's hope that some updates will get it running smoothly. :smileyhappy:

Good luck, and let me know how it goes

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 6

2013-01-14, 21:40 PM

Hi, MLinBerlin

I did some research on the issue on Microsoft's website and found this page explaining what a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION is. According to Microsoft, this error is normally caused by either hardware or a driver of associated hardware. For this reason, I would recommend making sure that all the drivers and BIOS are up to date to rule out any software reasons for this issue. All drivers for your system can be found here. It could possibly be hardware, but let's hope that some updates will get it running smoothly. :smileyhappy:

Good luck, and let me know how it goes

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

01-12-2013

Arlington, VA

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2013-01-15, 10:26 AM

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query and to research the mysterious dpc_watchdog_violation. I really appreciate your time.   I had indeed updated all drivers in the computer (and still experienced the error), but hadn't updated BIOS. I've done so now and we'll see what happens next. I'll be sure to check in.

In the meantime, I also removed Firefox from the system, after some other reports that Firefox can be troublesome to Windows 8. Perhaps that will help as well.

Thank you again for your time and work on this.

All the best,

Martha

Options

1 Posts

01-22-2013

New Jersey

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-01-22, 17:25 PM

Martha

You should look into the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 BSOD issue (If that's the card you have) which is happening with many of the X series notebooks. We have multiple models but all use the same card, and all are experiensing BSOD.

I've also read of other brands (Dell, HP, etc.) with the same card having the same issue.

We are currently looking for an alternative card replacement.

Joe

Options

125 Posts

01-26-2011

Fort Stewart, GA

520 Signins

3885 Page Views

• Views: 3885
  • Message 5 of 6

2013-01-22, 19:48 PM

Do you have an SSD installed (came with the sytem)?  Another couple of posters said that they have a X230 with Intel SSD that has BSOD them many times - apparently the SSD has a firmware or related problem.  They have posted recently in this forum.

Here is a link with other user's experiences in case it applies to you:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Failed-X230-SSD-and-no-support/td-p/947235

Options

4 Posts

01-12-2013

Arlington, VA

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2013-01-27, 17:10 PM

Hi Joe and Kent,

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply.  Since I last wrote in (and updated BIOS and removed Firefox), I've had not had a single BSOD. That's good news. Unfortunately, because I did the two actions simultaneously, I'm not sure which was the fix.

Kent -- I don't have a solid state drive (though I wish I did), so the BSODs are not originating from that source.  Also I don't think I have the chip that Joe cited (I looked through the device manager and didn't see anything that said that chip, but not 100% sure that's the way to figure out which chip you have.)

I'll check back in if the BSODs reappear, but the computer appears to be functional now, so I'm happier.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to think about this issue with me! Good luck with your computing.

Best,

Martha

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms