Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwerlf
Paper Tape
Views: 4,100
Message 1 of 9

Replace wifi card on a X240

Hello.

Earlier this year I buy a second hand Thinkpad x240. It is provided with a Realtek RTL8192EE wireless card.

This card had two problems:

- No 5GHz

- A firmware "cardboard-based" (frequently disconnected)

I planned to replace this wifi card and chose an Intel 7260NGW. It was difficult to know which card is accepted, but I read in some place that the Intel 7260 is accepted on Thinkpad X240. But after a try, this card is not accepted. The computer is blocked by bios Smiley Sad

So, my question is simple: Which wifi card can I use on my Thinkpad X240?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,081
Message 2 of 9

Re: Replace wifi card on a X240

Hello and welcome,

To pass the BIOS whitelist a card must be a listed model AND have a Lenovo FRU number.  A "generic" 7260 won't pass.

The models and FRU numbers are listed in the BOM:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x240_fru_bom_20140808.pdf

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

dwerlf
Paper Tape
Views: 4,050
Message 3 of 9

Thanks.

Where can I buy one of them?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,047
Message 4 of 9

I don't know who ships to your location, but trying "04X6007" on The Google turns up quite a few via eBay and Amazon.

Please bear in mind that I can only go by what I read in the BOM.  04X6007 appears to be a 7260ngw AC card.  Please verify yourself as well.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

dwerlf
Paper Tape
Views: 4,041
Message 5 of 9

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I don't know who ships to your location, but trying "04X6007" on The Google turns up quite a few via eBay and Amazon.

Please bear in mind that I can only go by what I read in the BOM.  04X6007 appears to be a 7260ngw AC card.  Please verify yourself as well.

This is what I have done: Search for a wifi card compatible with Thinkpad X240 and finish by buying a Intel 7260NGW AC card. But this card is not authorized by the X240.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,038
Message 6 of 9

As above: did you buy one with a Lenovo FRU number?  The correct FRU number?

Z.

dwerlf
Paper Tape
Views: 4,036
Message 7 of 9

No, because at this time I didn't know it exist. I didn't know the Lenovo DRM on my own computer was so vicious. Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,031
Message 8 of 9

Hopefully the right FRU will get you there Smiley Happy  Any chance you can return/swap the one you have now?

Good luck,

Z.

(Beween you and me, I'm not crazy about the whitelist either Smiley Sad  It's been with us since way back in the IBM days.  It's my understanding that the newest ThinkPads don't enforce it - but I haven't personally verified that myself except on my TP Yoga 370.)

dwerlf
Paper Tape
Views: 4,029
Message 9 of 9

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Hopefully the right FRU will get you there Smiley Happy  Any chance you can return/swap the one you have now?

Maybe. But the return shipping cost is maybe more than the price of the card. I need to check.

Thanks for your help. Smiley Wink

I hope Lenovo, one day, will release a BIOS update that deactivate this whitelist system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors