Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 340
Message 1 of 9

Replacement keyboard for a ThinkPad X220

Hello!

I have a ThinkPad X220, the original keyboard broke a few weeks ago. I have replaced it with a keyboard I found on ebay, but this one just doesn't type the same as the original. It makes a lot of sound during typing and the keys give absolutely zero feedback. Besides that, it just did not fit great, I needed to bend the four tabs holding the keyboard under the palmrest down a bit, because they were too high to fit in the desired slots.

I am looking for a genuine Lenovo keyboard. If possible, I would stay away from ebay this time, because the one I ordered does not look like the one advertised, and is not genuine. I do not want to buy another keyboard that just types terrible. Some of keyboards advertised as 'genuine Lenovo' just look exactly the same as the non-original I have now.
So if someone knows a trusted ebay seller that sells the original, please let me know. If I can get it from Lenovo, that would be just perfect. However, I cannot buy part 45N2241 at the Lenovo Replacement Parts website anymore.

The original keyboard has the following FRU No.: 45N2241.

Thanks in advance!

SubieForest2001

Thinkpad X220, ThinkPad L440
bobdonkey
Token Ring
Views: 311
Message 2 of 9

Re: Replacement keyboard for a ThinkPad X220

For what it is worth I have bought several for the X220 and never had an issue, they have always been original. You could look for a back lit one which is more likely to be original. Also return yours saying it is not genuine, I think you were just unlucky.

SeniorGuru
Views: 302
Message 3 of 9

@SubieForest2001 wrote:

I have a ThinkPad X220, the original keyboard broke a few weeks ago. I have replaced it with a keyboard I found on ebay, but this one just doesn't type the same as the original. It makes a lot of sound during typing and the keys give absolutely zero feedback. Besides that, it just did not fit great, I needed to bend the four tabs holding the keyboard under the palmrest down a bit, because they were too high to fit in the desired slots. 

Keep in mind as well that Lenovo buys keyboards from at least three different manufacturers. While they must all meet common specifications, each have their own distinctive "feel." Some people can't tell the difference while others find the differences noticeable and perhaps objectionable. 

Keyboard service parts - ThinkPad X220, X220i shows three FRUs for the U.S. English (International, with a Euro symbol): 45N2241, 45N2101 and 45N2171.

So unless the part number of the replacement matches the original, even if it's a genuine keyboard, it may have a different "feel" from what you're used to.

Serial Port
Views: 290
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the replies!

@bobdonkey Good to hear that you got several keyboards and never had an issue. I think it is just bad luck in my case. Returning it costs more than the price of the keyboard, so I think I will just accept this one and buy another one soon.

@hausman. Ah okay, I did not know that. But this one is really different, not just a little bit. It really feels like a keyboard out of a very cheap laptop. I think I will buy another one soon, one that has those tholes through wich you can see the mechanism of the keys. And one that is listed as 'genuine'.

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 278
Message 5 of 9

I bought a replacement keyboard off ebay in May of this year for my X220. I looked at the FRU on the back of my existing keyboard and searched ebay for that FRU. The used keyboard I got was in great condition. I got mine from the seller sunset_micro on ebay.

I do think there might be some knockoff Chinese keyboards that are not OEM Lenovo. I would steer clear of those.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 274
Message 6 of 9

Thanks GomJabbar! This one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T400s-Laptop-Keyboard-45N2211-/263538499076?has...

I think I got a knockoff... Smiley Sad
GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 271
Message 7 of 9

Yep! That's the one I got.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 211
Message 8 of 9

@GomJabbar, thanks! Well, I don't really have had a good exeperience with re-fubished devices in the past, so I think I'll just go for new.

Found this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-fit-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-T420-T510-T520-W510-W520-X220-US-Keyb...
I have sent this seller a message with some questions, we will see Smiley Happy.

After contacting the seller of the fake keyboard, I got some money back by the way, which was nice.

SubieForest2001
Serial Port
Views: 167
Message 9 of 9

Got a new one. This one is genuinely genuine! Types so much better.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors