Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pohoki
Paper Tape
Views: 191
Message 1 of 8

Replacing DVD with SSD on X220

Hi. I read the threads in the forum but i could not find an ifno about is it possible to replace dvd with ssd or hdd? And i cant understand if i want to have ssd and hhd in the same time what ssd and where to install it to use it as bootable drive. Thanks for the info! Smiley HappyMy machine is lenovo laptop x220 i5 2nd gen 4 gb ram .

MGhee
Punch Card
Views: 173
Message 2 of 8

Re: Replaving DVD with SSD on X220

Upgrading your system from HDD to SSD is doable and would have an immediate impact, less heat, less noise, fast bootup times, overall one of the best and easiest upgrades - next to adding more RAM, which you might consider.

Don't forget you will either need to clone your existing HDD to your new SSD or install the OS fresh, including all your drivers, apps, etc. Make sure you have everything you need before you go erasing your HDD's data - BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. Youtube is your friend here, there are numerous videos on how to accomplish the upgrade.

Now, it may be possible to remove your DVD drive and swap in a second drive (HDD), but this is a very complicated task and requires technical skills you may not have. I would watch a few Youtube videos first and make a determination if you can do it, including, does your system have the needed interface that will allow for a 2.5" SATA HDD, and what about the space itself. Don't forget you will want to seal the opening, can you remove the bezel from the DVD drive, maybe customize a cable. Do you feel comfortable taking your laptop fully apart -- everything, if it's required? Can you put it back together and not have extra parts? Some of the hardware is delicate, and small, screws can get lost in your carpet when dropped on the floor!

If more storage is what you need maybe an external drive would work better. Using a USB to SATA cable plugged into an HDD, or external enclosure may be a better option??? IIRC 2.5" drives don't require power, the USB port can provide what is needed - double check this first.

I did a quick search, there's many videos detailing replacing a HDD & RAM, but you may need to look a little deeper to find a really good guide for the DVD drive swap. I've seen them for various models, not sure for the X220.

This will VOID any warranty and you could really screw something up. My view on upgrades like this, if you got the money, and are willing to risk screwing things up bad but feel it is worth it if you learn something - go for it. You might attempt the HDD to SSD upgrade, maybe add another 4GBs of RAM first, I think this will provide some satisfaction and you will see the benefit right away. I might hold off on any serious customization until I know I've got the chops to pull it off, you do, after all, want the job to be top notch when done, not a hack job Smiley Happy

pohoki
Paper Tape
Views: 170
Message 3 of 8

Well im not so skilled and i ask for the info because i didnt know that is so complicated. What is my option if i want to have internal hdd for data and internal ssd for boot and programs?

MGhee
Punch Card
Views: 156
Message 4 of 8

Well, most laptops have only space for one internal 2.5" drive, HDD or SSD. I mentioned already that swapping your HDD for a new faster SSD is really easy, you just need to have everything in place to either clone your existing drive or install everything (OS, apps, drivers, etc) fresh. To add a second HDD or SSD as additional storage is best achieved by using a SATA to USB cable or some type of external enclosure. This of course would mean you would need to carry it around with you or plug it in as needed. 2 internal HDDs is not common on a laptop.

To customize the space where the DVD drive now exists takes skills, and experience, it isn't simply remove a couple of screws, you need to customize the space to fit something that wasn't designed to fit there. There might be a system that was manufactured to accomodate multiple pieces of hardware, a DVD drive or HDD, but as far as I am aware, laptops are not designed for too many changes.

I would search Youtube, there are some videos on the DVD drive to HDD swap, see what you think. I personally think it is also easy, but I have some experience with jobs like this, just not on a laptop, or specifically on an X220. You need to have some patience, some skill, be a bit creative, and have a desire to do a clean job or something is likely to be loose, broke, missing, stripped, or it may not even work if you put it all back together incorrectly.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 151
Message 5 of 8

The X220 DVD drive is in the docking station.  Is that what you are talking about?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pohoki
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 6 of 8

Re: Replacing DVD with SSD on X220

Well i could install msata ssd and still use the hdd which comes with the laptop right? And i may use this msata ssd as a bootable one right.

I dont know what means the dvd to be conected on the docking.

MGhee
Punch Card
Views: 137
Message 7 of 8

I'm sorry pohoki, I didn't realize doing what you want to do is as simple as installing into a docking station.

Yes, indeed, it looks like on your x220 you can install an mSATA drive. So yes, you can have 2 drives internally. You could infact have both a bootable 2.5" SSD which installs on the side, held in place by 1 screw, and the mSATA hidden underneath your keyboard. The video I pointed to does an OK job of showing you how to install an mSATA but I bet there's more detailed videos.

I'm not sure if you can boot off the mSATA, I would think so but you will need to install it and consult your BIOS, you may need to slide the mSATA drive to the top of the boot list. I would consult your manuals or user guides first, then get into your BIOS. Make sure your BIOS recognizes the drives fully, size, type etc.

Here's a Youtube video on installing an mSATA in an x220 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edInAvJytwQ

The same applies here, regardless, you will need to install an OS or clone an OS to any new drive you install. Once you get your new OS up and running (bootable), then you'll install the second drive. This is how most techs do things to minimize confusion, Windows will likely show you both drives, you'll need to know which drive is the one you want to install your OS on. You can install both just make sure you pay attention to the drive you're making bootable. I think you can pull this off.

These guys apparently have been performing some other upgrades to their x220, you might see if anything interests you. Here's their x220 playlist -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbMBru829z4svJ1hz4eoWw4HIvosmbtuL

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 118
Message 8 of 8

I would recommend just replacing the HDD with a SSD. That's what I did with my X220. With the price of SSD's now, it really doesn't make sense to me to use a mSATA drive and HDD combo anymore. What would be the advantage? SSD's are more reliable than HDD's. You can buy a cheap USB to SATA HDD adapter to attach your HDD temporarily to the X220 (or other laptop) to copy files between the two. Replacing the HDD with a SSD is very easy. Installing a mSATA drive is a bit more work.

Benfei USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Supports UASP SATA I II III for 2.5 inch HDD and SSD

If you do have the Ultrabase Series 3 for the X220, you can get a HDD adapter that fits in the DVD drive bay. It's very easy to swap the DVD and HDD in the Ultrabase. EDIT: Of course you would need to buy the HDD caddy to use in the drive bay.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors