Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wfaz
Serial Port
Views: 1,534
Message 1 of 7

Rescue & Recovery CD ??

When I created recovery disks, and each time I create backup disks, ThinkVantage makes a "Rescue & Recovery" CD followed by a DVD.  Are these Rescue & Recovery CDs always the same?  If so, I would like to keep only one of them along with the backup DVDs.

Thanks,

Faz

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,528
Message 2 of 7

Re: Rescue & Recovery CD ??

Recovery Media is the same, which contains the operating systems and drivers. While Rescue and Recovery cds should be the backup of your system, so each set of these R & R cd/dvd are the newer version of your backup. It is up to you which backup you keep. 
wfaz
Serial Port
Views: 1,526
Message 3 of 7

Is the CD in each set of R&R CD/DVD the same?  I know the DVD is different, but I am wondering if the bootable CD is always the same disk image.

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,514
Message 4 of 7

i think the CD should be same it is just a bootable disc with basic Resuce and Recovery features.
wfaz
Serial Port
Views: 1,484
Message 5 of 7

I was concerned that the Rescue & Recovery Startup Disc may contain some information about the contents of the remaining Recovery Disks - like how many were required and where files were placed.  It's a pain to keep all these disks properly stored and labeled, but I guess I better keep them all until I can find out for certain that the Startup Discs are all the same.  If they are, one has to wonder why Lenovo doesn't just make one and then only backup what is required.  In fact, one has to wonder why they don't just make the first DVD in the backup set a bootable disk. 

It is a shame that the wonderful design of the Lenovo 300X stopped before it was completed.  Who put the USB ports on the left, the AC on the back with a straight out connector on the adapter, and an extra disk in every backup set?  And what's with the tiny little loose screw that has to be removed and replaced when you switch the CD out and put a battery in?  Try that in an airport.  No one should get design awards unless they design the WHOLE enchilada.

Faz

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,459
Message 6 of 7

you could just use an external harddrive for backing up, instead of using cd/dvds
wfaz
Serial Port
Views: 1,432
Message 7 of 7

Excellent idea.  I have an old 30G USB drive that should do the trick for future backups.  They might run faster also - it takes way too long to back up to DVD.

Faz

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors