Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mchladdison
Blue Screen Again
Views: 749
Message 1 of 6

Rescue and Recovery

How does Windows Restore relate to Lenovo's Rescue and Recovery? What is the recommended methodology regarding how to use the two?

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 728
Message 2 of 6

Re: Rescue and Recovery

Did Windows 7 or Windows 8 ship with your machine?

mchladdison
Blue Screen Again
Views: 711
Message 3 of 6

Windows 7

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 706
Message 4 of 6

@mchladdison wrote:

Windows 7

For Windows 7 you'll see a Lenovo Rescue and Recovery application in Control Panel.  Run that.  You'll need 1 CD and 3 DVD's to create the disk set that is the factory image that came with the machine.  I usually just use 4 DVD's.

After you have created the factory disk set, you have exactly what shipped with the machine so if you ever decide to re-sell it, you can image the hard drive and revert it back to that point in time. 

The process for Windows 8 changed and requires a 16GB USB stick to write the image to.

mchladdison
Blue Screen Again
Views: 697
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the info.  I am aware of the full reboot capability. I guess I did not frame my question properly.  Lenovo's Rescue and Recovery allows you to take an image of your system and then do incremental backups. You can then recover the status with options including going back to a previous backup and getting your system back to the state at the last (or prior backups). Windows Restore does much the same, allowing you to recover to a prior state and thereby reversing changes that may have badly affected your system. The two seem to go after the same problem with the Lenovo solution being more thorough. My question is to discover how the two overlap or complement one another and to determine what is the best methodology ie. use one or both and how

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 691
Message 6 of 6

For backups, I use Acronis True Image Home 2013.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors