NL

14 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 1 of 3

Reviving x220 battery

2016-01-07, 7:48 AM

Hi all,

I bought a secondhand X220. The 9-cell battery (manufacture date 2012-04) was at 51% full charge capacity at 380 cycles. It still gave me about three hours running time. It did some reading on how to revive some of the capacity. I'm not trying "storing it in the freezer" kind of stuff.

First I update the BIOS and battery firmware. Then I tried a battery gauge reset with Powermanager. I think it is supposed to decharge your battery to 0% and then recharge it to 100%. The decharging took ages and I never got a completed result. 

Then I came across this method and tried it last night: 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/just-managed-to-restore-full-capacity-of-the-9-cell-battery-at-112-cycle-count.671589/

This morning I booted the machine and Powermanager shows 63% full charge capacity! Result :) I'll do a few normal cycles now and then try the above method again. I know depleting Li-Ion cells to 0% can be harmful and shouldn't be done too often.

In short:

1) Run CPU stress tests on battery until it hibernates due to low battery;
2) Enter BIOS on battery until the machine turns off due to empty battery;
3) Connect the power cord to start charging, WITHOUT turning on the machine, for a whole night.

My step 4 was to disconnect the charger before booting up again.

Good thing to know that the battery chip doesn't lock the full charge capacity from going upwards.

Just thought I would share :) Do you have other methods to improve your battery?

Options

17 Posts

01-11-2016

England

14 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Reviving x220 battery

2016-01-11, 13:08 PM

As regards battery health with most devices not just laptops i find that as you have written that running them to absolute empty (the point the device will not turn on) then charging them with the device turned off over night does wonders for the longevity.

Works on my thinkpads and samsung smart phones.

Options

6 Posts

01-07-2016

NL

14 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Reviving x220 battery

2016-01-24, 7:08 AM

Went to 66% capacity on the second run :)

@ Paul: I also run my Iphone till it shutsdown sometimes. But it still has some residual charge then. The software blocks it from running complitely flat, same as windows does on the critical battery level action.

Don't know yet if I'll try for the third time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete