Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frixosk
Paper Tape
Views: 417
Message 1 of 6

Right-side USB port stopped working on 3rd Gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon

HI there

I am having a peculiar problem. The right-side USB port (the one next to the Ethernet port) of my 3rd Gen X1 Carbon (model 20BT) has stopped working. Windows reports two USB controllers, and Linux does the same. The ethernet port works as expected. I even replaced the USB/RJ45 system card and the problem persists: The Ethernet port works, the USB port does not. No peripheral is being recognised (I have tried a wireless mouse, a usb flash drive and a Yubikey) and no power seems to be available from the port. 

I was thinking that if there was some issue with the motherboard then one of the USB host chips would not be recognised, but this does not seem to be the case.

I am now thnking whether it would be worth it to replace the motherbaord or just purchase another (used) machine. The warranty has expired.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Frixos

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 410
Message 2 of 6

Re: Right-side USB port stopped working on 3rd Gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Hi frixosk,

Does it mean that the one on the Left-side still works? If yes, you may consider to work with a handy USB hub like this.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
frixosk
Paper Tape
Views: 403
Message 3 of 6

Hi BMCowboy!

Yes, the left one still works.

It is true, eventually I will consider the hub solution, it just vexes me that it stopped working now, while the ethernet port (which uses the same cable to connect to the M/B as far as I can see) still works! I bought the laptop used and I have changed the keyboard twice and the battery once. I just wanted it to be perfect, it's such a lovely machine. Smiley Happy

Thank you for your help in any case!

Frixos

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 393
Message 4 of 6

Hi frixosk,

You're right, they connect with the same cable, but not just the cable. They are actually located on a sub-card. Partially defected chips on the card may lead to hardware failure of one or more component(s). This is the one on eBay, with part number. See if you'd like to give your lovely Carbon another chance and try replacing the sub-card.

1.JPG

Here's a video regarding keyboard replacement for Carbon GEN3, which informative enough for you to replace the ethernet+USB sub-card. Good luck dude!

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
frixosk
Paper Tape
Views: 372
Message 5 of 6

Hello again

I did try to change the sub-card with a used part, the result was the same (ethernet works, usb does not. Perhaps the part I used was sold in the first place because of the same issue? Smiley Tongue). Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered the new part, as you suggested. I will keep this thread updated one I receive and replace this in the laptop

Regards,

Frixos

frixosk
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 6 of 6

So.

The new card arrived yesterday. Replaced it in the laptop. Ethernet works, USB does not. All diagnostics find no issues with the motherboard but the port does not even get power. 

I can live with a usb hub, I guess

(Or replace the main board if I get in the mood)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors