05-12-2017

CA

24 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 1 of 2

Running Virtual Machines on X1 Carbon.

2017-05-16, 1:05 AM

Does anyone have any experience running a couple of VMs on the X1c with a i7-7600u?  I'm starting college this September and one of the requirements is to have a laptop capable of running two VMs, one Windows Server with AD services and a Windows client.  I realize the laptop is only dual core with HT so I don't expect any miracles, I just want to make sure it won't crawl to a stop as soon as I power on a couple of VMs.   

Options

54 Posts

05-21-2016

US

87 Signins

627 Page Views

• Views: 627
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Running Virtual Machines on X1 Carbon.

2017-05-18, 4:51 AM

I have a X1c Gen 4, 6600U. I run Windows 10 on it. I use Hyper-V to run a single VM. The VM is running Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2016 and I run VS 2017. I dedicate 10GB memory and all 4 threads to the VM. It runs ok but it is a little slow. Your processor is faster so it should do better. As far as running 2 VMS as long as you have enough memory a VM with Server and AD might be ok with 4GB and the windows client VM with 6-8GB depending on what u run on it. You could give 2 threads to each. I suspect you might even be able to give the windows client all 4. The Server won't run much with just AD. Although Hyper-V can dynamically adjust drive space and memory I am not a fan of using those features. Also make sure when ur installing your VM OSes don't forget to bump up your processor count (really threads) before installing, that's a common mistake and a single processor is way slow. Also make sure you select Gen2 for your VM. There also are a few tricks to reducing the Host in the advanced settings to reduce what it uses with the GUI etc., same on the VMs. That helps a bit too.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete