Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-09-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 3

(SOLVED) X1 Carbon 7th Gen constant BSOD, Device Manager constantly refreshing, camera not working

2021-03-10, 10:09 AM

Device: X1 Carbon 7th Gen (New)

Symptoms:

I have been getting BSOD (stop errors) with various error messages and codes and the camera wasn't working. The problem is especially present when Windows was trying to install Windows updates or when I tried to install Avast antivirus where a BSOD would occur mid process. Installing System Update software from Lenovo failed every time, showing corrupt files error messages.

Failed Solutions:

• Updated every single device driver from the Device Manager, Windows Update, Lenovo Vantage System, Lenovo Website
  • Deleted and reinstalled every single driver
  • Automatically and manually installed every Windows update and service pack (or whatever they call them nowadays)
  • Installed Windows debugging kit to analyze memory dumps. All I saw was hieroglyphic gibberish that didn't take me anywhere
  • Reinstalled Windows many times (from the cloud and from the local drive)
  • Reset Windows many times
  • Disabled Enhanced Windows Biometric Security from the laptop BIOS
  • Ran my laptop in Safe Mode (BSOD kept happening even in Safe Mode)

Solutions that failed but lessened the rate of occurrence of BSOD:

• Uninstalled Avast antivirus 
  • Disabled Kernel DMA Protection setting from the BIOS

What worked?

I noticed the driver installed for the camera was a generic USB camera driver from Microsoft and it was dated 2006 which was obviously the wrong driver. So this is how I pinpointed the issue. I tried downloading the latest drivers from Lenovo's website, but it didn't update. It just kept the old generic driver no matter what I did. Right-clicking on the device and updating the driver from the Device Manager didn't do anything as well.

I went to Lenovo's drivers download website and entered my laptop's serial number. I found two camera drivers (one for an older version of Windows 10 and another one for the most recent version of Windows 10) and the following three camera firmware updates:

• Integrated Camera Device Firmware for Chicony/CKFIH30
  • Integrated Camera Device Firmware for Azurewave/AM-8GF56BB-A
  • Integrated Camera Device Firmware for Bison/BNGL19VB2

I didn't know which one is mine. So I downloaded the first firmware (Chicony) which flushed successfully. I installed the camera driver for the most recent version of Windows 10 which installed correctly. I restarted my laptop, and I tested the camera but it didn't work. It just showed a black screen. I went to the Device Manager, and it was refreshing constantly by itself, and BSOD kept happening but at a much lower rate than before. This confirmed my suspicion that the camera was causing all these issues, but I also knew that I installed the wrong camera firmware but I couldn't figure out how to flush the correct one. The Device Manager refreshing by itself would stop when I disabled a USB Composite device that was installed under the USB section, which would also remove the camera from the device list. 

I went back to Lenovo's drivers download page and entered my laptop's serial number. I went to the parts list that my laptop was configured with. I filtered the list to the camera category only, and I saw at the end of the camera product description there was a short reference (Azr) which made me conclude that my laptop has Azurewave camera, and not Chicony). I tried flushing the Azurewave camera firmware using the provided software, but it failed showing an error code -22. When I go to the Device Manager I see that the device manager was refreshing by itself every 2 seconds. I tried deleting the camera device driver but Windows would reinstall it automatically with the next refresh.

How did I flush the correct Azurewave camera firmware and install the correct camera driver?

I redownloaded the Azurewave and Chicony firmware files from Lenovo's drivers website. This time, I chose Extract Only when I ran the executable files for both firmware files. This created 2 folders with 4 files for each firmware folder:

• fwupdate.exe (for both firmware)
  • Setting.ini (for both)
  • .bin
  • VidPidList.ini (for both)

I copied the file VidPidList.ini that came with the Chicony firmware to the Azurewave folder replacing the one that came with the Azurewave firmware, and I kept the other three files that came with Azurewave. I ran the fwupdate.exe file that came with Azurewave, and this time it flushed correctly with no issues or error messages. Then, I downloaded the latest camera driver from Lenovo drivers website and installed it which installed correctly.

Windows requested a restart and I restarted the laptop. I tested the camera and now it is working fine. I installed Avast antivirus and it installed successfully with no issues. I ran my laptop for hours and all BSOD issues seem to have disappeared. My Device Manager now is stable and doesn't refresh by itself.

I thought I would share my experience with you and save you a ton of hours of research and failed attempts.

Options

1573 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

104 Signins

7900 Page Views

• Views: 7900
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:(SOLVED) X1 Carbon 7th Gen constant BSOD, Device Manager constantly refreshing, camera not working

2021-03-10, 12:23 PM

Hello cutepathogen,

Greetings

Great to hear that the problem is fixed now

We appreciate for sharing this solution to the forum

Best regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

01-14-2021

Portugal

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:(SOLVED) X1 Carbon 7th Gen constant BSOD, Device Manager constantly refreshing, camera not working

2021-04-16, 14:19 PM

Thanks Brother finally after almost of 1 year after buying the laptop I can use the camera.

It's impressive that Lenovo support didn't come up with a solution for this problem.

Cheers!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms