Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackWall
Paper Tape
Views: 449
Message 1 of 3

SSD Firmware Update error: "NC=0x5 Soft error"

Hi,  Have a 20FB (4th gen X1) that "system update" says needs an SSD firmware update and the firmware does appear to be at least one version behind based on another  almost identical 20FB that I have.

When I dowloand the Lenovo Storage Device Update utility through System Update, it shows the new firmware version that I have on my other 20FB but it fails to run with the error shown in the title.  If I download the same software directly from Lenovo (not through system update), it says there is no firmware revision and won't run at all.  The READ ME instructions do not list my Samsung SSD model # (it appears to stop short of that model #).  Assuming Lenovo just needs to update the list to include my model number, is there anyway I can encourage that to happen or is it possible my firmware isn't out of date.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 429
Message 2 of 3

Re: SSD Firmware Update error: "NC=0x5 Soft error"

If your model is not listed in the readme.txt, and the firmware will not install, I would assume that your SSD model is not covered by the update, and go with the basic rule that "if it is not broken, do not try to fix it".   

Samsung does have its own firmware update utility called Samsung Magician, but it may not cover the drive you are using, and I would probably steer clear of any performing updates unless you are actually experiencing problems.

Cheers,

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 317
Message 3 of 3

Re: SSD Firmware Update error: "NC=0x5 Soft error"

I am seeing the same issue here.  We will investigate it.  Sorry for this trouble.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors